You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-08 02:11:29

kfrance

[Solved]Passwords don't work anymore

I went to use sudo to do an administrative task and my password would not work. I typed my password on the commandline and then copied it and pasted it for my password and it worked. After being quite puzzled about it I got brave enough to reboot the machine. When I tried to log on it wouldn't recognize my password. The same was true for the root account. Obviously I can copy and paste my passsword there. So I booted up a live cd and changed my password. After that I was able to log in but then I opened keepassx that needed a password to open it and my password wouldn't work again. I could copy it in. I use a dvorak keyboard and I don't know if that is part of the problem. Outside of a prompt for my password I can type it just fine. I don't even know where to look to solve the problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction. This actually happened on my work computer and then when I got home it was the same problem at home. I'm not sure what upgrades I made recently but I am up to date. I can't seem to resist updating but I do keep at least one older version of packages around.

Last edited by kfrance (2008-11-08 16:21:09)

#2 2008-11-08 03:00:01

Leigh

Re: [Solved]Passwords don't work anymore

That does sound strange. The fact that pasting it in works makes me think it's keyboard related some how. dvorak keyboards have a much different layout than the more common qwerty. I never used a dvorak but I think that's were your problem is. Maybe you can verify that it's configured correctly. Maybe this link can help...
http://rffr.de/dvorak

Also there's some Archers having keyboard problems here that might be related to your problem...
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=58533

Last edited by Leigh (2008-11-08 03:09:13)

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#3 2008-11-08 16:20:00

kfrance

Re: [Solved]Passwords don't work anymore

It is now working but I'm not sure what changed. I updated packages again, but of the packages that I updated it didn't seem that there was one that could be responsible. Wish I knew what the problem was but at least it is working now.

Board footer