You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-10 19:48:48

Sniffer

New to Arch Not so new to Gnu Linux

Hi fellows,

My first post here and with a lot of expectation regarding Arch, I'm coming from Ubuntu Minimal Installs with OpenBox, besides its a great distro, i miss more support regarding OpenBox There, so direct to business i hope you can help me.

I have already configure Openbox in a Ubuntu Minimal Install (with pypanel, obmenu, obconf, autostart.sh, sound, network and so on) but i come with few glitches.

1 - When installing firefox i have jagged fonts, so i install xfce-mcs-manager and apply antialiasing, RGB and all seems perfect, i shutdown my pc, turn on, login in my session and firefox comes again with jagged fonts, looking like s*h*t, i have to enter xfce-setting-show, and take off the settings and apply again everytime, annoying the least...In ArchLinux this happens as well, i don't know if is a Firefox problem or a Xubuntu problem or a XFCE problem....

I have tried kazehakase for instance, the menu keeps polished, the web pages not....could you point me to a solution for eye candy that dont depend on xfce or gnome....

2 - I have followed the EXCELLENT OpenBox Guide, but i miss some stuff, what you use for power manager, for bluetooth, for your inbuild camera.

3 - When my Ubuntu Minimal is booting (and if i don't have my ethernet cable connected, besides it's already configured via wireless) he keeps waiting on Configuring network interfaces... and after a while gives the Ok, how can i avoid that. On Arch this hapeens to??

4 - The last one, what are the applications you use on OpenBox, or could you point a thread to it, or post your menu configuration, i see that the last xfce or gnome dependecies i have the best to my performance.

Thanks in advance to all

The help is very appreciated.

Sniff.

#2 2008-11-11 18:40:57

Sniffer

Re: New to Arch Not so new to Gnu Linux

I think that for the first one i have already find a solution in here:

ht*p://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/gnome-linux-firefox-smooth-fonts/

Regards
Sniff

#3 2008-11-11 18:56:17

mentallaxative
Website

3. In rc.conf, have you tried putting @ before network in the list of daemons? It will load in the background instead of making the system wait.

#4 2008-11-11 19:27:17

Sniffer

mentallaxative wrote:

3. In rc.conf, have you tried putting @ before network in the list of daemons? It will load in the background instead of making the system wait.

Thanks it was just that big_smile, great tip, i didn't find anywhere.

#5 2008-11-12 03:34:10

EnvoyRising

For your menu:
-There is an example menu.xml @ /etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml. Not commented, but very self-explanitory
-menumaker is a commandline tool that will scan your system and autogenerate a menu for you
-Obmenu is a graphic tool that allows you to create menu.xml's
-That being said, I just use a text editor to edit my menu, since neither program seems to do everything I need (i.e. adding labels to separator).

As for apps:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=45692 show's screenshots along with config files that people are using on their openbox.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=58159 is similar, but more generalized. That is, posts here come from a variety of DE/WM choices.
The guy who posted @ http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57758 had similar questions regarding openbox apps.

You could always check into LXDE, which is a DE based on openbox. If nothing else, you could draw inspiration from it and see which apps they use that you like. Some of their custom  tools (lxappearance, lxpanel, etc) are pretty good.

Last edited by EnvoyRising (2008-11-12 03:37:39)

Board footer