You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-24 19:00:03

johnw

How can I play blu-ray? - software advice

Hi,
I've just got hold of a pioneer blu-ray player for my PC. I've got an Nvidia 7900 GT/GTO and an old-ish bug Compaq 21" CRT.
I say a posting on the Ubantu about Feisty Fawn ??https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD

I was wondering if anyone knows how to do this on Arch and can give me some details?

cheers

J

#2 2007-08-24 21:30:59

Noneus
Website

Re: How can I play blu-ray? - software advice

At the moment watching BluRay or HDDVD is not possible without developerversions, because the audiocodec is not supported in the stable releases yet. But it's a SoC project and seems to work. The current state of the eac3 decoder (needed for the new audiocodec) can be followed at the ffmpeg-soc-list So just wait for it or use the subversion stuff. (You can get an eac3 ffmpeg patch that you can get into current mplayer-svn)

You have to rip the complete movie to your harddrive. (Is this legal?) You can find alot about ripping at doom9-forums. (It works under linux too.)

Then you have the .EVO files which contain the actual movie and the extras. These EVO's can only be played with mplayer-svn since it has demuxer for it. And for the actual movie you need the eac3 stuff.

As you can see not really easy to use... Not even close to "put bluray in and play"...

Last edited by Noneus (2007-08-24 21:38:24)

#3 2007-08-25 09:14:20

johnw

Well thanks for the details. I'm sure it'll become simpler in the future. I'll give it a go for now.

#4 2008-10-19 03:41:58

notanatheist
Website

Just to chime in on the subject... I just got an LG HD & BluRay player. I've got it connected to an Intel DG45FC motherboard and 24" Samsung HDTV via HDMI. The state of things: I get a clear picture over HDMI from PC to display under all operating systems tested so far. I have *not* gotten audio over HDMI under linux *yet*. I'm sure it will come. Primarily trying to use the box for MythTV frontend. Under Windows you get the PowerDVD 7 Ultra with the drive so I've installed that. With XP I can play a regular DVD with the X4500HD graphcis chipset but it will not allow me to play HD-DVD. I may own my first BluRay disc tomorrow and will try that. The software errors saying the video driver won't work. Under *cough* *hack* *choke* Vista (which I don't own a license, just using the 30 day install) it will play HD-DVD with the X4500HD. It will not play on a standard LCD though. You *need* an HDCP compliant display. HDMI is by nature HDCP.

#5 2008-10-19 06:17:34

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

You'll also need HDCP-compliant hardware, so an oldish box won't cut it wink. The whole 'chain' of devices needs to be 'trusted' if you really want to play off the disc itself instead of ripping it.

Blu-Ray opticals > motherboard > HDCP-compliant output (I think that's the most important but not sure). Plus, you need a lot of processing power. Blu-Ray uses a h.264 codec, that can get quite beefy.

Last edited by B (2008-10-19 06:20:13)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2008-10-21 01:42:03

notanatheist
Website

B wrote:

You'll also need HDCP-compliant hardware, so an oldish box won't cut it wink. The whole 'chain' of devices needs to be 'trusted' if you really want to play off the disc itself instead of ripping it.

Blu-Ray opticals > motherboard > HDCP-compliant output (I think that's the most important but not sure). Plus, you need a lot of processing power. Blu-Ray uses a h.264 codec, that can get quite beefy.

I sort of covered that already wink FWIW, Vista did play a BluRay as well as HD-DVD but it failed at playing the whole movie. More testing to be done. *IF* Vista is the only answer for BluRay then I'll be waiting until I can get a decent deck under $200 before buying any more BluRay discs.

GeForce 7000 & 8000 series sometimes have HDCP compliant DVI ports which can be adapted to HDMI as well. You just lose the audio stream. Certain Intel video chipsets also have the support. Don't personally know which ATI cards support it as I've always used Nvidia for my linux boxes except my new MythTV frontend which uses the board mentioned above.

#7 2008-11-12 10:00:00

MindTooth

Noneus wrote:

You have to rip the complete movie to your harddrive. (Is this legal?) You can find alot about ripping at doom9-forums. (It works under linux too.)

Still all depends on your country. With Norway we are allowed to make a backup of everything we own. It is the sharing and downloading part that is illegal.

Birger smile

#8 2008-11-12 16:39:15

notanatheist
Website

Backing up to play from the hard drive is secondary to playing from the optical. FWIW, I've been doing more testing after getting a replacement for the drive. The GGC-H20L seems to have power issues and randomly disappears from systems. I'm not alone on that issue. Now, back to the testing part... AnyDVD-HD (under XP) was able to extract both a BluRay and HDDVD movie. mplayer (on linux) opened the files for playback but BluRay was jittery and HDDVD sound didn't work. All of my hardware *should* be able to do smooth playback.

Board footer