You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-12 02:52:20

HermanChess

Correct Hostname syntax (/etc/hosts)

I think I have a problem with my hostname configuration. I don't know If the wireless connection is to blame or if it's an internal problem, but my internet connection is falling constantly. Sometimes I need to go and reset the router and reboot the computer to get it to work again (heh the connection just dropped while writing this). I just realized doing a ifconfig eth0 down and then ifconfig eth0 up fixes the connection again (which is faster than rebooting). But when I do ifconfig eht0 restart I get:  restart: Unknown host           ifconfig: `--help' gives usage information.

I have a feeling this has to do with the hosts file. Take a look at what I have, hostname in rc.conf is arch.

#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address>    <hostname.domain.org>    <hostname>
127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain arch.domain.org    localhost arch

# End of file

I'm not sure if that's the right syntax, the wiki has different ways of explaining it so I'm confused.

Also when the connection is out, the computers kinds lags every couple of seconds like trying to restore the connection. Also I've noticed doign the eht0 up/down commands freeze my mouse after a while. :o

Last edited by HermanChess (2008-11-12 03:13:33)

#2 2008-11-12 03:15:51

pyther
Website

Re: Correct Hostname syntax (/etc/hosts)

Well your syntax looks correct.

ifconfig eth0 restart does not seem to be valid option to pass onto ifconfig.

Maybe your router is dropping your connection? Do you have a spare router to temporary use? This is a wired connection correct?

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#3 2008-11-12 17:33:02

HermanChess

I'm using a wireless router to serve as a receiver from a wireless connection from another place (I have permission), then a wire goes from that wireless router and into my computer. I'm guessing it could be the router and the connection that is causing the problem. Good to hear my syntax is correct, I'll try changing routers and see what happens. Just one thing, does the spaces and tabs have to do something in the syntax of /etc/hosts , or is just the placement order that matters?

Last edited by HermanChess (2008-11-12 17:34:03)

#4 2008-11-12 22:38:01

Profjim

spaces or tabs in /etc/hosts should not matter, the fields can be separated by any amount (>0 chars) of whitespace

Board footer