You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-13 22:07:03

mvdvarrier

Fresh Installation of Arch Linux Using packages in the pacman's cache

Dear Friends,
sad
My current arch installation turned rather useless after a series of up gradations through pacman. Neither Gnome nor KDE is working. My well customized e17 turned to default settings after an upgrade.:(:mad: So I now want to install arch in a different partition. I have arch installation CD and downloaded packages in the pacman's cache of the current installation.  Please give me a step by step help for fresh installation in order to use the already downloaded packages in the pacman's cache to save bandwidth.
Thanks in advance
mvdvarrier

mvdvarrier is a Warrior; Born to Expedite!!!

#2 2008-11-13 22:30:58

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Fresh Installation of Arch Linux Using packages in the pacman's cache

Gnome or KDE won't start, and E17 is using the default settings? It sounds to me like something either happened to the permissions in or on your /home directory, or possibly the permissions on your /tmp directory. Is the permissions on your /tmp directory still read, write, and execute for all users?

ls -dl /tmp
drwxrwxrwt 6 root root 12288 2008-11-13 14:25 /tmp

If not, do this as root:

chmod 1777 /tmp

Last edited by skottish (2008-11-13 22:34:13)

#3 2008-11-13 23:06:05

mvdvarrier

Re: Fresh Installation of Arch Linux Using packages in the pacman's cache

Thank U skottish,
I mean Gnome starts but behaves strangely  (Mouse pointer jumps, wallpaper is not changing from default color, fonts & menu looking ugly) KDE starts but cannot see anything except black screen. (After changing from KDE to KDE-mod. In fact I don't know how they differs! )
I lost all settings in the E17. All these happened after some upgrades from a stage where Every thing worked well. I think a re-installation is only the sensible way.
mvdvarrier

mvdvarrier is a Warrior; Born to Expedite!!!

Board footer