You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-28 23:52:38

yodo

[solved] Asus Mainboard P5Q - no Ethernet device

Hi there,
I have a new PC with the Mainboard "P5Q" from Asus. Too bad I did not google before if there are any known problems with linux...
Took audio card and tvcard from the old PC - and thought mainboards would be relatively problem-free.
Normally they are though, but not this one. sad

The problem is, that the network device is found, but can not be used. Loaded tons of different modules, it still does not work.
I'm not the only one with that problem, I found lots of threads about it. There are already sollutions, but only for Ubuntu and SuSE.
Thats a tutorial that should work.
Thats a Thread about the issue.

I tried to compile the Asus-driver, but compiling did not work with the core arch installation... and without internet I can't install any packages.
I'm sorry that I can't copy the error message (post that with XP right now...) but compiling aborts very short after starting with make and there are no missing packages named.

From Arch I have access to my XP partition which I can use to download files, but I don't know which packages are missing for compiling.
Does anyone have an idea what I could do? Or did someone solve this problem for him/herself?

I'm desperate for help, Linux without Internet ist just not the same...

greetings, yodo

Edit: Just found a acl1e PKGBUILD in AUR. But I was not able to compile it yet...

Edit 2: In case anyone is interested: I got it working by downloading the driver before and then using the commands that are used in the PKGBUILD to compile.

Last edited by yodo (2008-08-31 10:06:40)

#2 2008-10-27 15:38:54

Tad2much

Re: [solved] Asus Mainboard P5Q - no Ethernet device

Can you be more specific?  I am having the same problem and am not yet too familiar with PKGBUILD.  Thanks.

#3 2008-11-04 20:58:28

yodo

Well the prob was, that I was not able to use yaourt for easy install, because internet was not working.
All I did was unpack the .rar file, go to the src dir and execute the build commad written in the PKGBUILD manually.
Which is:

KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make

This created the atl1e.ko file which I moved into the dir named in the PKGBUILD (/lib/modules/<your_kernel>/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/atl1e.ko).
The only thing left to do was loading the module "atl1e" (->modprobe atl1e" as root, or adding it in rc.conf for loading while booting).

Maybe there is an easier way, by simply changing the "source" line in the PKGBUILD to the dir where you saved the downloaded file.
e.g.:"source=(/home/USER/LinuxDrivers.zip)". The PKGBUILD could be executed normally using "makepkg", but I did not try it yet.

#4 2008-11-14 19:15:34

Tad2much

Thanks, I eventually figured out the same thing.  Just compiled the source using the flags in the PKGBUILD script.

Also, I believe that kernel 2.6.27 has these drivers compiled in.  I didn't have to recompile my drivers after upgrading my kernel at any rate.

Board footer