You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-15 18:54:09

Mistron

[Solved] ~./bashrc: New File?

Hi, I have been here for some time already, looking around reading what I liked. I am also pretty new to Linux, fiddled around a bit here and there before but nothing really serious. Been a member here quite some time too. But even as a noob this seems to look like my distro. ^^

But I have run in to some problems which I haven't found any solutions on yet. ( 2 so far. ) Only one I want to ask for the moment, the other one might come later on. I am at this part in the Beginners Guide. Where I am setting up Sudo.
I saw something about auto completion at the last line and I thought could also use that on my user account instead of the root acc. only. (directs me to here. )
Only one problem, I don't think I need programmable completion (yet?) so I should do this:

Otherwise add the following to your ~/.bashrc (only if you did not modify bash_completion as it overwrites the settings for sudo):

complete -cf sudo

Only now it comes, all this typing for this simple question xD, when I type nano ~/.bashrc it creates a new file. Should that be the default behaviour on a almost clean install?
I don't know if that is right, it seems so but I thought I would ask here just to be certain. Doing so much on my own already. Don't even know what ~ stands for yet, although I think it's your home directory. =p

Hope you can help with this very simple question.
Greetings, Mistron.

p.s. I am typing "nano ~/.bashrc" as root, does it matter?

Last edited by Mistron (2008-11-15 19:41:50)

#2 2008-11-15 19:11:24

ghostHack

Re: [Solved] ~./bashrc: New File?

Have you created a regular user yet?  IIRC should have a very basic .bashrc file setting al 'ls' alias and the shell prompt, I don't think root has one.

Also, the tilda (~) resloves to the current users home area, so for root that is /root but for any othe user it will be /home/YourUsername. since root does not need sudo you should not be trying to edit root's .bashrc file, so you would want to type 'nano ~/.bashrc' as your regular user.

#3 2008-11-15 19:41:29

Mistron

Re: [Solved] ~./bashrc: New File?

Yes, I have created a new user already, and indeed when logging in with that user and typing 'nano ~/.bashrc' it solves my problem. smile I have a bashrc file that I can edit now. ^^ Thank you. smile
I didn't knew root didn't need one. It had come to my mind that I should have tried to do it as the regular user but somehow I didn't.

This is solved now. ^^ Thank you for your fast reply. smile
*Greetings, Elonoir.*
Edit: My name is Mistron here. >.< Should remember that, although I like Elonoir more. xD

Last edited by Mistron (2008-11-15 19:42:21)

Board footer