You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-17 17:29:19

sokuban

[SOLVED]Gmrun, dot files, and zsh aliases... problems when xdm was ins

So I've always been a happy user of gmrun, except today I decided to install xdm.

Ever since then, gmrun doesn't want to run any scripts from my personal bin directory in ~/.homemadebin/ for some reason. (I used to be able to just type in music and the music script would be run)

However, if I type /home/username/.homemadebin/ and push tab after that, it will list all the bin files in there and I can run them fine. However if I just type /home/username/.hom and push tab after that, it says no matches come up. I have to type out /home/username/.homemadebin/ fully to be able to tab after that.

Another interesting thing is, if I run gmrun from an xfce terminal, everything is fine and I can run music just by typing music. Running gmrun from gmrun doesn't do this though.

I guess this has something to do with the fact that X got started by xdm and not by myself with startx?

Anyone know a good solution for this?

On another note, I also thought it would be nice if my zsh aliases would be recognized in gmrun. It isn't /that/ nessesary, since I could always just make a little script in ~/.homemadebin/ instead. But it would be nice if one day I decide to make aliases that conflict with other bin names (so the alias gets priority).

EDIT: I just thought up of something. I could make the home made bin in like /usr/local/bin (you know, like normal people) and make it systemwide and add it all to my global path somehow.

EDIT: Done, by editing /etc/profile

Last edited by sokuban (2008-11-17 22:02:17)

Board footer