You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-17 12:45:34

keerthi

[KDE4] Help me set it up

I'm new to KDE. So please bear with my, rather stupid, questions. Thanks,

I have KDE4 (not kdemod4) installed on my laptop.

1.  My laptop's multimedia keys don't work. I need OSDs to show up whenever I adjust volume controls. I looked at the WIKI pages and looks like xmodmap/keytouch is the option. I would like to know if there anything that is built-in KDE4 that gets my multimedia keys working?
(I will resort to xmodmap/keytouch as the last option if there isn't anything built-in in KDE4)

2. USB flash drive: I do not get any notification after unmounting USB devices from Dolphin. How do I know when it is safe to unplug USB devices?

3. Question about deadline scheduler: My current partition scheme looks like this:

/dev/sda1 on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime,notail)
/dev/sda2 on /boot type ext2 (rw,noatime)
/dev/sda3 <swap>
/dev/sda4 on /home type jfs (rw,noatime)

I have enabled deadline scheduler at the kernel line in menu.lst per instructions here http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/JFS … _Scheduler

title   Arch Linux
root    (hd0,0)
kernel  /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda1 elevator=deadline
initrd /kernel26.img

Considering that only my /home partition is JFS, will the performance of other non-JFS partitions get impacted (since I have enabled the scheduler for the entire physical device)?

4. What wireless management tool should I use for KDE4? I looked at knetworkmanager as described in the WIKi but it seem to pull QT3 dependencies?

5. I also need a good music managament application for KDE, similar to amarok. I looked at amarok but its available for QT3 only.

Thanks,

#2 2008-11-18 19:12:42

keerthi

Re: [KDE4] Help me set it up

Sorry for bumping the post. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

#3 2008-11-18 21:38:29

JonathanArcher

I don't have answers for all of your questions but so far:

2. When you use the plasmoid for unmounting (don't know what it is called in english), you should see the icon of the plasmoid changing when it is safe to unplug. At least it works like that for my USB stick, I have to admit I didn't really look at it when I unmount my external harddrive since I read somewhere that you should wait a bit before unplugging because else you get a nasty sound in the harddrive which doesn't mean anything good. So I unmount it and do something else until I unplug it a minute or so later.

4. I think I read somewhere that archassistant (in AUR) is capable of managing wireless connections, but I don't know it exactly because I'm not using it, you could do a search here.

5. Thats really something you have to see for yourself. Many like MPD plus client, I for myself am also waiting for the QT4 version of amarok and at the moment I use music on console for simple listening to my already prepared playlists and folders. Works for me at the moment, as long as I don't want to make any new playlists at least.

Last edited by JonathanArcher (2008-11-18 21:38:59)

#4 2008-11-18 22:23:07

b9anders

kdemod has amarok2 in their repositories. It's usable.

Board footer