You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-18 23:57:04

Mashi

/etc/rc.d/network, why?

I have a pretty complicated network setup on my pc. 7 interfaces total. What is the advantage to me of using the arch native network daemon? There are 4 different files which hold my network configuration, and whenever I edit them I always have the urge to ditch the network profiles thing and create my own net_up and net_down routines as shell scripts.

Is this a bad idea? Does the network daemon exist for any reason other than ease of configuration?

#2 2008-11-19 09:46:15

Profjim

Re: /etc/rc.d/network, why?

It's just for ease of use. There's also the more complex netcfg2 package, but that's also just for ease of use.

Netcfg2 has a bunch of library functions which you can call from your own scripts; so even if a roll-your-own solution works best for you, it may still be a useful tool.

But in the end, the /etc/rc.d/network daemon from initscripts and the netcfg scripts are just tools. and if you have a complicated setup that you find easier to manage with your own scripts, go ahead and use your own scripts.

#3 2008-11-19 19:12:38

Dheart

[offtopic]
7 interfaces??!?!? What are you using those for? Just curiosity. I've got 2 - one for internet entrance and the second acting as NAT gateway...
[/offtopic]

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#4 2008-11-19 19:31:53

Mashi

Dheart wrote:

[offtopic]
7 interfaces??!?!? What are you using those for? Just curiosity. I've got 2 - one for internet entrance and the second acting as NAT gateway...
[/offtopic]

Hooray a chance to brag! big_smile

2 interfaces for wireless card, one connected to internet, the other in monitor mode.
1 interface for other wireless card providing internet to other person in the house.
1 interface for wired ethernet
1 interface for virtualbox
1 bridge interface to bridge virtualbox, wired and "other" wireless
1 local (lo)

Last edited by Mashi (2008-11-19 19:32:32)

#5 2008-11-19 20:50:24

Dheart

Mashi wrote:
Dheart wrote:

[offtopic]
[/offtopic]

Hooray a chance to brag! big_smile

2 interfaces for wireless card, one connected to internet, the other in monitor mode.
1 interface for other wireless card providing internet to other person in the house.
1 interface for wired ethernet
1 interface for virtualbox
1 bridge interface to bridge virtualbox, wired and "other" wireless
1 local (lo)

At home 4 people are using internet so the connection takes a rather strange mode:
1) It wired ethernet enters my pc
2) NAT leaves my PC
3) NAT enters wireless router
4) 3 other people connect to the wireless router

I do that rather complicated thing, because I want my IP address to host an apache server and games on WarCraft III and I find port forwarding more complicated.

And why do you have one wireless in monitor mode? It would make sence if it were on laptop and you moved arround to aircrack-ng networks, but at home I can't think of any way it to be useful?

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#6 2008-11-20 00:33:25

iphitus
Forum Fellow

lo doesnt count tongue thats just blatantly bumping your count.

You could do most of that with netcfg, though that would mean about 4-5 network profiles.

Board footer