You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-18 01:29:08

grod

Fusion-Icon

I reinstalled everything recently. When I try to run Fusion-Icon as anything other than root I get this:

[grod@ficulnean ~]$ fusion-icon
* Detected Session: unknown
* Searching for installed applications...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/fusion-icon", line 57, in <module>
   from FusionIcon.interface import choose_interface
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/FusionIcon/interface.py", line 23, <module>
   import start
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/FusionIcon/start.py", line 36, in <module>
   config.check()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/FusionIcon/util.py", line 363, in checkos.makedirs (self.config_folder)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/os.py", line 150, in makedirs
   makedirs(head, mode)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
   mkdir (name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/root/.config'
[grod@ficulnean ~]$ _

Why does it need to write to /root ? How can I change it to write to /home/grod ? I installed as root because Pacman won't let me install as anything else. I tried yaourt -R fusion-icon and then yaourt -S fusion-icon as grod, but that didn't make a difference.

I'm about ready to give up and just run as root all the time.

#2 2008-11-18 03:12:03

methuselah

Re: Fusion-Icon

grod wrote:

I reinstalled everything recently. When I try to run Fusion-Icon as anything other than root I get this:

[grod@ficulnean ~]$ fusion-icon
* Detected Session: unknown
* Searching for installed applications...
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/FusionIcon/interface.py", line 23, <module>
   import start
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/FusionIcon/start.py", line 36, in <module>
   config.check()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/FusionIcon/util.py", line 363, in checkos.makedirs (self.config_folder)
   makedirs(head, mode)
   mkdir (name, mode)
[grod@ficulnean ~]$ _

Why does it need to write to /root ? How can I change it to write to /home/grod ? I installed as root because Pacman won't let me install as anything else. I tried yaourt -R fusion-icon and then yaourt -S fusion-icon as grod, but that didn't make a difference.

I'm about ready to give up and just run as root all the time.

Try following the suggestions of "Allan" from my [SOLVED] thread (towards the bottom): http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=58985

I had problems with the old python2.5 and the upgrade of python2.6 screwing up my fusion-icon and compiz-fusion.

Last edited by methuselah (2008-11-18 03:13:11)

#3 2008-11-19 03:43:23

grod

Sorry, I don't quite see how that works. I just installed everything. How do I reinstall from source? And why does it seem that everything, compiz, xfce4, xfwm wants to create files in /root and even when xfce4 tries to create something in /home/grod it says permission denied? I did follow the wiki.

#4 2008-11-19 04:00:43

Ranguvar

Sounds like there's a deeper problem here, as if apps think your home is /root.

Could you please post your /etc/passwd? Don't worry, no password information is actually stored in it - non-root can access it, so unless there's a giant glaring security hole, you're good wink Password info is actually stored in a shadow file... anyways.

#5 2008-11-19 04:10:37

grod

Sure:

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/bin/false
daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/bin/false
mail:x:8:12:mail:/var/spool/mail:/bin/false
ftp:x:14:11:ftp:/home/ftp:/bin/false
nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/:/bin/false
grod:x:1000:100:grod Surname,,,:/home/grod:/bin/bash
dbus:x:81:81:System message bus:/:/bin/false
hal:x:82:82:HAL daemon:/:/bin/false
policykit:x:102:101:PolicyKit:/:/sbin/nologin
avahi:x:84:84:Avahi daemon:/:/bin/false

I installed everything as root because Pacman seemed to require it, but as soon as I had the core stuff I installed sudo, used visudo to add grod, and switched to grod. (the actual account is in my real name, obviously).

#6 2008-11-20 01:28:26

Ranguvar

Hmm. What groups is your user part of?

#7 2008-11-20 01:30:46

grod

grod belongs to users
root belongs to the default groups for root
that's it

#8 2008-11-20 01:54:18

Ranguvar

No additional groups than users!?

#9 2008-11-20 01:58:05

olovram

try setting this environment variables:
XDG_CACHE_HOME
XDG_DATA_HOME
XDG_CONFIG_HOME

#10 2008-11-20 04:42:15

methuselah

grod wrote:

Sorry, I don't quite see how that works. I just installed everything. How do I reinstall from source? And why does it seem that everything, compiz, xfce4, xfwm wants to create files in /root and even when xfce4 tries to create something in /home/grod it says permission denied? I did follow the wiki.

Hello, I'm sorry..... I didn't mean that you should install from source..... just try this using regular pacman repository.

Re-install all of your "compiz-fusion" packages so the python-path is pointed at your new upgraded python2.6.

Then re-install these packages so they have the python-path pointed to the python2.6 also:

pygtk
libglade
pycairo
pygobject
python-numeric

....So, it's really nothing major, just try re-installing all of those packages so they give the correct path to your new python2.6 instead of your old python2.5.

That's what worked for me.

Last edited by methuselah (2008-11-20 04:42:53)

#11 2008-11-20 11:23:51

Ranguvar

Ranguvar wrote:

No additional groups than users!?

If you are only in the users group, try adding yourself to common groups like audio, storage, optical, video, etc...

ArchWiki wrote:

Useful groups for your non-root user include:

* audio - for tasks involving sound card and related software
    * floppy - for access to a floppy if applicable
    * lp - for managing printing tasks
    * optical - for managing tasks pertaining to the optical drive(s)
    * storage - for managing storage devices
    * video - for video tasks and 3d acceleration
    * wheel - for using sudo/su
    * power - used w/ power options (ie. shutdown w/ off button)

The video group seems especially promising.

#12 2008-11-20 18:40:52

methuselah

My point to you is that your error message has everything to do with your python-path and your fusion-icon. Notice the python2.5 and python2.6 errors in the error message. The upgrade that borked everything was the upgrade of python2.5 to python2.6.....

I had a lot of breakages from that upgrade..... most all of it was because the python-path was wrong.

You need to have the correct python paths in your new "python 2.6".

I fixed my python-path problems with the fusion-icon by un-installing the "compiz-fusion-gtk" group, then re-installing the whole "compiz-fusion-gtk" group.
(I use the gtk packages from this page: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Com … _Community ..... you might be using the kde group or just the regular compiz-fusion group)

If you open up the "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages" directory, you will see the FusionIcon folder is now in it.

I also had to make sure the "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gtk-2.0" directory was also added. Do this by re-installing pygtk and all of it's dependencies that I listed in my post above.

See, all of this is relating to FusionIcon and python being screwed up:

import start
   config.check()
   makedirs(head, mode)
   mkdir (name, mode)

I'm no expert, but this is what I just went through and it was fixed by reinstalling the missing paths in python2.6.... since they were still pointed at python2.5 and hadn't been upgrade to python2.6.

Last edited by methuselah (2008-11-20 18:49:36)

Board footer