You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-20 09:13:50

Stalafin

Installing .OTF fonts - and Latex/Xetex?

I want to install some OTF fonts - specifically the Garamond Premier Pro font family that comes with Adobe Font Folio Education Essentials.

What I did was placing the files into .fonts/ and running fc-cache -vf.

Apparently, I can use the fonts now, and specifying a \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Garamond Premier Pro} compiles fine running xelatex... I am just not sure if the font is actually properly displayed.

I found some stuff on this board, but it wasn't too helpful.
My question is: Is the installation routine I applied sufficient or do I have to take care of anything else in order to properly install the fonts for use with Latex/Xetex?

#2 2008-11-20 13:36:07

SiC

Re: Installing .OTF fonts - and Latex/Xetex?

Try converting the dvi to pdf and then look at the embedded fonts in the pdf file, if it's working then the font will be listed there.

#3 2008-11-20 17:13:44

skottish
Forum Fellow

Use otfinst:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/u … s/otfinst/

I used it for Garamond Premier Pro myself. You'll need to edit the file in order to point it to a LaTeX font directory. I created and used this directory:

localfontsdir = '/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/garamond/'

Also, you'll need to add a berryname. I used 'Garamond Premier Pro' and 'pad'.

Last edited by skottish (2008-11-20 17:19:20)

#4 2008-11-20 19:41:16

Stalafin

Yeah, this berryname thing - I don't understand it; I tried Google for it, but couldn't find anything. Where do I specify that?

Also, I'd have to run the script with root rights when pointing to that directory, am I correct?

#5 2008-11-20 19:48:31

skottish
Forum Fellow

For the two things that I suggested:

localfontsdir is on line #58.

berryname starts on line #138. Add the following line to the middle of the list somewhere. I'm not 100% sure that 'pad' is the correct berryname, but it's the closest that I found and it works:

'Garamond Premier Pro' : 'pad',

I did run this as root. The first time that I did this, I couldn't figure out how to do it as a regular user. I found other references to running it as root, and I figured that since it's from CTAN now, it's going to be malware free.

When you run the script, run it in the directory with the GPP fonts and wildcard it. ./otfinst *.otf

By the way, XeTeX will just find them if your system can find them. But XeTeX doesn't do microtype, so I went back to LaTeX.

Last edited by skottish (2008-11-20 19:53:37)

Board footer