You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-27 14:39:13

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

new laptop install

Hey all,
So I'm going to finally dittch my full on windows install on my laptop (P4 3.0ghz, 512ram, 60gig HD) and only keep a 10gig partition for that (visual studio and photoshop and a few games...).

I am curious about a few things:
1) Linux hyperthreading support - is there any? is it useful? should I even care?
2) This laptop has a cool little card-reader in in that reads like 4 million types of cards... does anyone think this would be a problem to get working?  Currently I don't use it much, but I'd like to have it fully functional.
3) Because I haven't messed with it in ages, how is the newest NTFS support?  I'd like to be able to mount my windows partition as well, for transfering data from windows....
4) Last time I setup wi-fi it was a mess.... has this improved at all?  Any laptop wireless guides that are really good?

That's all for now... if anything comes up I'll post it.

#2 2004-09-27 18:06:59

paranoos

Re: new laptop install

I'll answer as many of these as I can.

1) I just read that if you install an SMP (symmetric multi-processor) enabled Kernel (I'm quite sure Arch is), then it recognizes your P4HT as a dual-processor system. Read this.
2) The Kernel has a usb-storage module, which supports many different kinds of card readers. Quite possibly yours is supported, especially if it follows simple standards smile
3) NTFS support in Linux includes full read support. Works flawlessly. You can't write new files, or make edits that change file size, though.

#3 2004-09-27 18:26:58

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Ok, so just to clarify, if I use an SMP kernel, hyperthreading will "just work", correct? or do I need to do anything special?

#4 2004-09-27 19:10:44

paranoos

smile I don't have any experience with it. That's why I provided the link (which i didn't read entirely).

#5 2004-09-27 20:53:43

wdemoss

phrakture wrote:

Ok, so just to clarify, if I use an SMP kernel, hyperthreading will "just work", correct? or do I need to do anything special?

The stock kernel26 handles this (it just works). I have experience with this both on a HT server and a HT laptop.

I also haven't had much of a problem with wireless. I have seen / had wireless working on arch with orinoco (using kernel drivers) and truemobile mpci cards (using ndiswrapper) on P4, P4HT, and PentiumM chips.

I also like to use quickswitch (in extra) to manage my networks.

-wd

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#6 2004-09-27 21:03:12

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Yeah i just came across my wireless card:
Broadcom 802.11b/g - requires ndiswrapper

The install seems straightforward, so it shouldn't be a problem....

By contrast, my brother still cannot get his wireless working (we've given up)...

Board footer