You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-22 09:22:43

Mythoz

Andale Mono Bold font with xterm and friends

I donnot have the Andale Mono Bold TTF file but gnome-terminal and x-chat can build the bold version from the normal version and display it correctly.

Now I want to use urxvt with Andale Mono font but it does not display anything bold if i use:

urxvt -fn "xft:Andale Mono:size=10"

With the Bitstream Mono font everything is fine:

urxvt -fn "xft:Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:size=10"

Is it possible to generate an bold version with the "xft:" syntax so that something like this:

urxvt -fn "xft:Andale Mono:size=10" -fb "xft:Andale Mono:size=10:BOLDFLAGS" 

would work?

#2 2004-09-23 15:18:33

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Andale Mono Bold font with xterm and friends

OT:
i've never seen that "xft:" syntax before.  is it specific to urxvt or is it something common (i.e. can i use it with aterm?).

also, do you have any links explaining this font syntax?

#3 2004-09-23 21:09:00

Mythoz

i've never seen that "xft:" syntax before. is it specific to urxvt or is it something common (i.e. can i use it with aterm?).

It only works with programs which have support for it (libXft). Aterm does not belong to this group, i think.

also, do you have any links explaining this font syntax?

First time I have seen it was in the urxvt man-page. And basically this was also my question... sad

#4 2004-09-25 22:36:44

Dreameen

I'd like to ask an additional question, i'm using urxvt and i'd like my Midnight Commander to display directories in bold font and files in normal font.

What do i have to change to accomplish this in urxvt??

When i was using rxvt the distinction between files/dirs was used by default in mc but i had to switch to unicode to display some of my fonts correctly. Any guesses how to fix this issue in urxvt?

#5 2004-09-26 03:34:10

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ok... check out this thread (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=6551) for details (read my posts)...

Try this....
Andale Mono-10:weight=bold
or
Andale Mono-10:bold=true

I don't know if bold=true works, but worth a shot.  the weight flag can be "light", "medium", "demibold", "bold" or "black"...

also, you can use the <font>-<size> syntax instead of <font>:size=<size>... it's kinda easier.... Times-10 vs Times:size=10

#6 2004-09-26 09:28:43

Dreameen

Hmmm, the problem is not that i can't use a particular type of font in URxvt. Adding:

URxvt*font: xft:Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:pixelsize=14:weight=bold 

to my .Xdefaults results in using this font , both for directories and files, simply speaking, all my fonts are bold in these case. What i'd like to do, is to force Midnight Commander to display directories in bold font(weight:bold) and files in normal font(weight:medium). Now, some of the terminals i've tried handle this by default, it works in aterm and rxvt, try running mc in those and you'll see what i mean.[/code]

#7 2004-09-27 14:30:42

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Ah ok, let me ask this:
does ls display bold directories in urxvt?  if not then it may not be reading .Xdefaults (try symlinking it to .Xresources)

#8 2004-09-27 17:20:19

Dreameen

It's the weirdest thing ever. When i type ls at bash prompt, i can see a very nice distinction:dirs in bold, files in normal font.

I have no clue why "mc" acts differently, I think i'll ask the question on mc board b/c it's freakin annoying. Anyway, thanks for the link to the thread about new font specification, I find it very useful. Cheers.

#9 2004-09-27 18:33:17

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ah then it sounds like it may be an mc problem having to do with unicode or different charsets.... if you are able... attempt compiling mc with unicode enabled (if this is even possible) and see if that fixes it...

#10 2004-09-27 19:45:49

Mythoz

@phrakture

or

does not work because there is no bold version of Andale Mono installed.

@Dreameen
You should set

URxvt*font: xft:Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:pixelsize=14

without the "weight=bold" part and start mc with

TERM=rxvt mc

It's all about terminfo but I donnot know how to fix it. (I donnot even really know what it is...  wink)

The other problem I have, is possibly related to this. If I type in urxvt/xterm:

jada tada muh[the curser is now here]

an press Ctrl-Left nothing happens. In gnome-terminal the cursor jumps to the beginning of "muh", another Ctrl-Left to the beginning of "tada" and so on. It's an easy way to navigate through a long command line. I miss this feature...  :cry:

#11 2004-09-27 20:05:03

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Mythoz wrote:

@phrakture

or

does not work because there is no bold version of Andale Mono installed.

If Xft/freetype2 is implemented correctly (and it should be), you do not need a different bold font, as freetype will be doing the transformations internally...

#12 2004-09-27 20:25:31

Dreameen

Now we're talkin big_smile

I've noticed that everytime i run urxvt the $TERM env value changes to TERM=rxvt-unicode. The solution that you provided works just fine, because it bypasses the default settings for urxvt and replaces them with appropriate settings from rxvt. All these information seems to be stored in terminfo. We need to find out how to modify this "thing" to be able to use Unicode and all the other features from -non-unicode terminals like rxvt, aterm.

I'll do some research on the subject and will keep informing you about the progress of unicode Vs rest_of_the_terminal_world battle.

#13 2004-09-28 07:49:58

Mythoz

@phrakture

If Xft/freetype2 is implemented correctly (and it should be), you do not need a different bold font, as freetype will be doing the transformations internally...

I have not changed the default Arch font settings but it does not work. Have you tested it on your system? Any further advise? i'm using the latest xorg.

@Dreameen

I'll do some research on the subject and will keep informing you about the progress of unicode Vs rest_of_the_terminal_world battle.

Thanks! But it's not really battle because genome-terminal supports UTF-8 encoding (but it's somehow a little slow) and the Ctrl-Left/Right and Andale Mono bold problems I also have with aterm, xterm and others.

Hmm, maybe I will switch back to gnome-terminal and live with the slower output speed...  :cry:

#14 2004-09-28 14:58:45

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

i'll mess with this tonight, can't do much at work

Board footer