You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-27 15:05:00

ArchArael

file-roller file association problem

Hi,

I have a problem with file-roller file associations.

When I double-click on a file in file-roller it always asks which application to use.

For instance, If I double-click on a txt file from thunar it opens gvim automatically. But if I try from file-roller, from an archive, it asks which application to open with. neutral

Same thing for pictures. Thunar starts mirage automatically but file-roller asks which application to start.

It seems that file-roller does not read .local/share/applications/defaults.list nor .local/share/applications/mimeapps.list. I tried to modify both but nothing changes.

I am not running gnome but openbox.

I also tried from cli gnome-open foo.txt and, like should be, it starts gvim.

Installing gnome-mime-data didn't solved the problem. Maybe I am missing something?

Still searching on google for a solution. If somebody had similar problem and knows how to solve please let me know.

Thank you very much and as always sorry for my bad English. wink

Last edited by ArchArael (2008-08-27 15:05:56)

#2 2008-09-01 12:14:02

ArchArael

Re: file-roller file association problem

I couldn't figure out how to change default applications in file-roller so I just switched again to squeeze archiver.

It's a pity that squeeze cannot preview lzh archives. But they are not so widespread. I will just expand this type of archives when needed.

#3 2008-09-04 18:33:42

kuric

Hello,

I'm not using this linux distribution but I undestand your despair because I was having the same problem.

I found a solution, go to the following link and see if it helps you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5692583

#4 2008-09-21 10:42:19

ArchArael

Thank you kuric,

sorry but I noticed your reply just now. The link you provided isn't working but suppose that the solution suggested is to install nautilus and set from nautilus the default applications.

I tried that also, but didn't worked. In the end I just installed xarchiver beta. It's working fine at the moment.

If the solution you suggested is not a nautilus quirk than please, if you have time, let me know how did you resolved. Ok? wink

#5 2008-11-22 16:48:34

kuric

Hi,

The link is working... it's not a nautilus quirk. Try these examples:

FIRST EXAMPLE:

Login as root and edit mimeinfo.cache (In openSUSE, the linux distribution I'm using right now, this file is placed on /usr/share/applications).

su
gedit /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache

Search for audio/mpeg=

The first application I specify is going to be the program that File-Roller will use to open a compressed mp3 file.

Example:
audio/mpeg=totem.desktop;banshee-1.desktop;
This will open Totem...

audio/mpeg=banshee-1.desktop;totem.desktop;
This will open Banshee.

SECOND EXAMPLE:

$ su
$ gedit /usr/share/applications/defaults.list

Search for:

text/xml=MozillaFirefox.desktop

Replace to:

text/xml=gedit.desktop

This will open xml files with Gedit, instead of Firefox.

Good luck.

Last edited by kuric (2008-11-22 16:49:30)

Board footer