You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-27 16:54:30

ocram

slow xorg startup

hello.
i'll be quick.
i've just installed xorg and it works fine....but  i've noticed that the startup ($ startx) is very slow if i run xorg when my internet connection is up.
i've got also some warning message concerning the ipv6 protocol....so i've got to recompile my kernel with the ipv6 support even if i do not use it...maybe the slowdown is due to the ipv6....
don't really know....
some hint?

tnx

ocram

smile

#2 2004-09-27 17:00:57

hcman

Re: slow xorg startup

Is your /etc/hosts set up correctly?

Arjan

#3 2004-09-27 17:39:17

ocram

....you're right
forgot to edit /etc/hosts
.... :oops:
tnx a lor hcman  wink

#4 2004-09-27 18:36:55

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

pardon me for being the slow one.... what in /etc/hosts needs to be changed that is not in the default hosts file.... I was under the impression that hosts was setup properly for X by default...

#5 2004-09-27 20:51:38

hcman

If you set your hostname (in rc.conf) you need to update /etc/hosts to reflect that change, i.e. change localhost to your hostname.

Arjan

#6 2004-09-27 21:34:33

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

huh, I didn't know that.... just because I'm an information glutton, why exactly does this speed up X? Is this the only way that unix sockets are used?

#7 2004-09-28 06:04:19

skoal
Website

phrakture wrote:

huh, I didn't know that.... just because I'm an information glutton, why exactly does this speed up X? Is this the only way that unix sockets are used?

It's a good question, and one not normally asked except when presented with a circumstance like this.

As best I can tell, when the X server starts up and goes through initialization, it goes through a series of protocol checks to GRANT ACCESS to the server.

Normally, it starts with the normal access control protocol by generating an MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE (which you would be familiar with if you've ever had to connect to your machines X server on a remote connection).  Then, if you are running XDM or an equivalent like Gnome's GDM, the X server attempts authorization (after the X server is already running I believe) with the XDM-AUTHORIAZTION protocol.  And, then there are a few others I believe, but not normally used by most x86 linux users.

* I believe in this case, when X was starting up slowly, it has to do with the environmental variable HOSTNAME being manually set in the "rc.conf" file.  I believe the X server uses the "gethostbyname" implementation while initially checking the "xhost" authentication which is initially empty with just "localhost".  So, in this case I think the X server was looking at his machine as "myhostname" in 'rc.conf', which during the xhost authenticatin process showed only "localhost".  And, since there was no
MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE generated for "myhostname", it tried for a bit and then refused that connection (which it probably thinks is from a remote machine) -> extra time on X init.

I'm not quite sure of the nitty gritty details of that process without thumbing through the actual X server source, but I'm pretty sure this is what he was experiencing.

That's my best guess.

#8 2004-09-28 14:57:31

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

nice, thanks a bunch

Board footer