You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-23 19:46:53

jdgallag

two newbie questions

Hi archlinux community,

I just installed Archlinux, first time, and I like it.  However, I have two questions:

1) when I installed jdk (>pacman -Sy jdk) I get a message saying that I must read and agree to the license file before I can use it.  I read the license file; it says that if I install jdk, I agree to it.  So I scrolled through it, and hit save.  I still can't use java or javac. ???

2) I installed haskell-cabal, and tried to build a package.  I darcs get the file and when I type (>runhaskell Setup configure) and I get the error message     
"Bad interface file: /usr/lib/Cabal-1.4.0.1/ghc-6.8.2/Distribution/Simple.hi
        magic number mismatch: old/corrupt interface file?"  I have never seen this one before, and I am wondering if I installed things right.  I installed all Haksell packages by adding the haskell repository pacman.conf.

If any one can send me some help, I would really appreciate it.  Thank you in advance.

-
Jon

#2 2008-11-23 19:49:44

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: two newbie questions

jdgallag wrote:

Hi archlinux community,

I just installed Archlinux, first time, and I like it.  However, I have two questions:

1) when I installed jdk (>pacman -Sy jdk) I get a message saying that I must read and agree to the license file before I can use it.  I read the license file; it says that if I install jdk, I agree to it.  So I scrolled through it, and hit save.  I still can't use java or javac. ???Jon

Welcome to the forums jdgallag. For question #1, simply logging out and back in again should fix that. Also, running 'source /etc/profile' may do the trick.

#3 2008-11-23 19:52:08

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Welcome to the forums!

Sorry, I can't help you with either of those, but you might get more responses if you change the subject line to "problems with jdk and haskell-cabal" or something else that's descriptive of your problem.

Last edited by Xyne (2008-11-23 19:52:52)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2008-11-23 19:57:19

cliffbreaker

Why do you install jdk? Install jre instead and everything will work correctly

Windows works in 80 % cases, Linux in 20%, but you can make linux work in other 80% cases whilst you can never make windows work in last 20%

#5 2008-11-24 02:26:33

tony5429

Alternately, you can install openjdk6 with "pacman -Sy openjdk6" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenJDK I use it and have had no problems with it.

Board footer