You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-25 23:52:16

shimage

Install single package from testing

I just switched to Arch from Gentoo, and so far it's been mostly great. What I want to do right now is install 1 package from testing, and only that one. Is there an easy way to do this, besides uncommenting the testing repo, installing xorg-server, and commenting testing again? Basically (if you're familiar with Gentoo and emerge), I want to know what pacman's equivalent to /etc/portage/package.keywords is. Alternatively, if there's a way to make kde4 not absurdly slow with a relatively new ultra-low-end nvidia card (9300m), then I'm up for that as well. Additional background for this question is that I was hoping the newest (beta) drivers might alleviate this issue, but they depend on an xorg-server version that only exists in testing. I don't want to run testing, but if the new drivers help, then I'd be willing to run them (along with any reasonable, if unstable, dependencies). Thanks in advance.

#2 2008-11-25 23:55:44

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Install single package from testing

shimage wrote:

I just switched to Arch from Gentoo, and so far it's been mostly great. What I want to do right now is install 1 package from testing, and only that one. Is there an easy way to do this, besides uncommenting the testing repo, installing xorg-server, and commenting testing again? Basically (if you're familiar with Gentoo and emerge), I want to know what pacman's equivalent to /etc/portage/package.keywords is. Alternatively, if there's a way to make kde4 not absurdly slow with a relatively new ultra-low-end nvidia card (9300m), then I'm up for that as well. Additional background for this question is that I was hoping the newest (beta) drivers might alleviate this issue, but they depend on an xorg-server version that only exists in testing. I don't want to run testing, but if the new drivers help, then I'd be willing to run them (along with any reasonable, if unstable, dependencies). Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums.

If you upgrade only xorg-server, you're going to have problems. There are other packages designed to be used with it.

With that being said, you can always put testing as the last repo in /etc/pacman.conf. Then if you want to upgrade one package, you explicitly call it with pacman -S testing/<package_name>.

#3 2008-11-26 00:31:45

Allan
Pacman
Website

skottish wrote:

If you upgrade only xorg-server, you're going to have problems. There are other packages designed to be used with it.

+1 - if you do that then you are in for a world of pain.  It is best to use all of [testing] or none of [testing] unless you are sure you know what deps etc you will also need.

#4 2008-11-26 00:51:42

shimage

Thanks for the quick response. It should have been obvious to me, but I tried it (before I read these replies). And, as you've mentioned, it doesn't work. Well, maybe if I use ABS instead ...

Board footer