You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-22 18:11:24

LaoTzuTao

Crackling sound only in video - avi or DVD

Hey all

So for quite a while now I've been having random but mostly constant crackling sound in Linux while playing videos. I started noticing it while playing some avi files, then soon realized it was basically ALL video, even playing DVDs. I had been using OpenSUSE as my main OS so thought maybe it was just that, but I reinstalled Arch recently to play with, and its also happening in Arch. I've also had Fedora installed and...same thing. I've tried using all the different video players and backend configurations, kaffeine, totem, dragon, vlc, xine, mplayer, gstreamer, its all the same. All videos crackle, regardless of the sound level of the player. Also regardless of the sound levels in alsa. This is not an example of a certain mixer level being too high and distorting, as all my other sound (music files, flash/sound in Firefox) works fine. This has not always been the case, I seem to remember this starting a couple months, maybe 3 or 4 months ago. I'm not sure what could have changed in that time, and also why its independent of which distro I'm running.

My sound card is the same old SB Audigy 2 I've been using for years with no problems. This problem doesn't exist in Windows, and so I've been having to reboot into Windows whenever I'm watching a DVD or other video, which I'd rather not have to do. I've been searching online various places and can't seem to find any similar scenarios or solutions. I figured I'd try here too since its happening in Arch as well. I would post as much specific info as possible but its basically regardless of which version of video player, which version of which backend, which version of ALSA, which kernel, which distro, on and on, so it seems pretty nebulous. Any ideas? Anyone? Help?

hmm

Last edited by LaoTzuTao (2008-10-23 17:06:24)

#2 2008-10-22 18:40:58

LaoTzuTao

Re: Crackling sound only in video - avi or DVD

Just another interesting little tidbit - sound works completely as it should through VBox, as in I can boot into XP or any other Linux in VBox and all sound works totally fine. So I can use VBox to run another virtual OS to watch DVDs or play videos, and have no problem, but then I just can't get full full screen working, so bleh. Fascinating!

And another edit - I tried out some mov files from my camera, and they actually worked fine also, as well as a downloaded mpeg test clip. Sound was completely normal. So essentially its AVI files and DVDs that have crackled sound.

Last edited by LaoTzuTao (2008-10-22 19:09:06)

#3 2008-11-17 18:07:17

LaoTzuTao

Bump

#4 2008-11-27 03:05:17

LaoTzuTao

Bump - Still no one? Nothing?

Board footer