You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-26 20:26:22

andre.ramaciotti

Help with kernel modules

I was going to post a new topic about boot speed, but I already know the answers I'll probably get - blacklist modules you don't need and make daemons load on background. Well, the later I've already done and now I need some help with the first.

I've already achieved a decrease of 8 seconds in my boot time (according to bootcharter) by blacklisting some modules, but it's still rather slow (47 seconds until agetty). I don't think I'll get much faster than this with my ~700MHz PIII, but I'd like to try.

I'd like to know why some modules are being loaded. Some are easy to know, like 'snd', but there are some that I don't have the slightest idea of what they are and googling isn't really helping.

Is there a place where I can find what each module does? Or if you're willing to check my lsmod to see which modules I can blacklist, I may paste it here.

TIA

(lambda ())

#2 2008-11-27 00:19:28

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Re: Help with kernel modules

modinfo <module_name> will usually give you a reasonable description of the module.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#3 2008-11-27 10:59:28

andre.ramaciotti

Re: Help with kernel modules

I've found this command a little after I posted and it did helped a little, but I think now I'll have to go by try and error. E.g. the sg module, modinfo says it is a SCSI generic driver and lsmod says there is no other module using it, but why it's loaded then? Maybe it's because of my PATA disks are being used as sd*, or maybe I may need it when I burn a CD.

Anyway, thanks. I achieved a huge improvement, from ~50 seconds to 32 seconds.

(lambda ())

Board footer