You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-27 19:09:22

ssl6

cflags?

i really wasnt sure which section to post this in. but i've been exploring lately ill call it. im usually more of a user as far as linux goes. windows i know like the back of my hands, i've done years of support for it. but linux is still very new, theres alot of adapting when you try to go beyond using it, at least for me

but anyway, i've been exploring. using aur a little more than just running makepkg and if it doesnt work too bad. its getting technical for me, lol. but anyway, i decided to get the mplayer-nogui-svn outof aur the other night, since i use smplayer since its qt based. and i tried to update the package today, and it didn't seem to pull the latest build, so i figured that out after looking at the mplayer-svn pkgbuild

anyway, i noticed on some of the comments something about cflags, one guy was using "-march=athlon -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" im trying to understand what those affect, whether it optimizes teh build process, or the built program? the march=athlon is obvious, but whats the -o2 and -pipe, and -fomit-frame-pointer? is there a page somewhere that lists all those variables so i can understand, because i can't find anything. its just peaked my curiosity now

btw, if this is in teh wrong section, feel free to move it, im sure i can find it again

this is a signature

#2 2008-11-27 19:19:11

mentallaxative
Website

#3 2008-11-27 19:31:29

ssl6

Re: cflags?

awesome, that answers my question......how much of a difference does it make to use those flags to tune apps to a particular system? just for a rought idea? i guess it would have to if the options are there right

Last edited by ssl6 (2008-11-27 19:45:55)

this is a signature

Board footer