You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-09 13:32:55

tengisu

[SOLVED] Arch on Macbook Pro, can't boot

Hardware: Macbook Pro 4.1 Penryn 15"

Issues: When plugged in everything's fine. But when booting from battery it hangs midway into the boot process. If i plug it in right away it continues booting normally. If i don't it freezes and i have to turn it off by pressing the power button.

I've googled and couldn't find anything. Even searched the ubuntu forums. I can live with not having the wireless (broadcom) working as there aren't many wifi hot spots around my area, but not being able to boot from battery s*cks. It beats the whole purpose of having a laptop.

Has anyone had any similar issues? Please help!

Last edited by tengisu (2009-03-15 16:27:06)

#2 2008-10-09 15:05:24

nielsb
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Arch on Macbook Pro, can't boot

tengisu wrote:

Issues: When plugged in everything's fine. But when booting from battery it hangs midway into the boot process. If i plug it in right away it continues booting normally. If i don't it freezes and i have to turn it off by pressing the power button.

Hi thre,
I have a MacBook Pro 3.1, which I don't have any issues with at all. I also have a MacBook 4.1, which at one stage gave me similar problems to what you have, but not only during booting while on battery, but also when plugged in.

It didn't happen all the time though, just intermittently, and when it stopped - it always stopped during discovery of CD-ROM and hard-drives. I got around it by inserting a CD/DVD halfway into the DVD slot and then removing it again - that "nudged" the boot process into life again. This problem has now gone away after my most recent reformat and re-install.

I'd suggest you loo into where it freezes, and if it freezes at the same spot (more or less) google for whatever it says on the screen and see if you can find anything. Also, if it freezes around CD/DVD discovery, try what I did. If nothing of this helps, do a complete re-install of the Arch partition(s) and make sure you do a sudo pacman -Syu to get the latest (unless you already install using ftp/http)

Niels

MacBook4.1 - Arch64 - OpenBox WM

#3 2008-10-09 16:49:57

tengisu

Thanks for the quick reply,

It never hangs when plugged in, but always hangs on battery.

Just did what u suggested. Unplugged it and rebooted it, when it hang i inserted a cd halfway, it worked. Now at least i know what's causing it. Did you find out why exactly it's happening? I have everything set up just right, i don't want to do another reinstall. Unless it's the only way.

I did several reinstalls before. Could i be doing something wrong with the installation? Everything else seems to work.

Thanks again for the tip.

#4 2008-10-09 17:12:01

nielsb
Website

tengisu wrote:

Just did what u suggested. Unplugged it and rebooted it, when it hang i inserted a cd halfway, it worked. Now at least i know what's causing it. Did you find out why exactly it's happening? I have everything set up just right, i don't want to do another reinstall. Unless it's the only way.

Glad that it works for you!

No, I didn't find out why it happened - it disappeared after I did a re-install and used the latest iso and ftp/http install. A while ago I read something on the forums where one poster had edited mkinitcpio, to correct a problem sounding like the one we've expereinced. i cannot however for the life of me find that post again, sorry.

If you find out something more, please let me know. But as I said in my previous post, look at the screen and see what the last lines read whne the boot freezes, then google for that and also do a search for it here on the forums.

Niels

MacBook4.1 - Arch64 - OpenBox WM

#5 2008-10-15 01:05:10

tengisu

Upgrade to the latest (2.6.27) kernel fixed the boot hang issue. smile

#6 2008-11-28 22:50:21

T-u-N-i-X
Website

guys, could you post some kind of tutorial for installing macbook pro 4.1? i need important details like:

* which devices doesn't work? (keyboard backlight?, bluetooth?, etc?)
* grub/lilo? and any special installation tips?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodiet?

Board footer