You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-29 03:09:34

b4283

[SOLVED] X crashes while playing video

My X often crashes with the message "Signal 11, module: unknown" while playing movies
this has happened with mplayer and xine (especially xine, my X crashes totally back to the console)
google said this is called "Segmentation Error" often due to a RAM problem.
but memtest+ ensured that my memory has no problem.

after digging into it, i found that it maybe the problem of the video driver.
because as i choose different Video Output for mplayer, the result differs.
surprisingly only "x11" works perfectly (but i can't scale picture under this driver)
other driver including "xv, gl, gl2" plays the movie quite laggy off and on.
every 20 seconds the whole desktop went into a pause, even the mouse and keyboard isn't working.
have to wait for 5 seconds till this lag is over, then it start to play smooth again.
it just keep going on like this, and i don't really know how to solved this problem.

i have a AMD 780G chip, and i already installed the "catalyst" package and ran "aticonfig --initial" with it.
my glxinfo says i have direct rendering, so, i don't see why the driver just doesn't work.

Last edited by b4283 (2008-11-29 11:23:56)

#2 2008-11-29 11:23:37

b4283

Re: [SOLVED] X crashes while playing video

Trying out the testing/catalyst driver turned out to work great.
The xv output of mplayer is now playing perfectly without any glitch.

However, the package depends on the new Xorg server and evdev which really bothers me cause it's brand new.
It no longer uses xorg.conf for input devices settings.
For those who encountered problems of input devices (keyboard & mouse) after installing the new Xorg server,
I used this method to workaround, making Xorg use old xorg.conf settings: archwiki

Board footer