You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-25 16:42:04

jamtat

some text-mode apps not displaying correctly in ssh sessions

I have a problem with the display of certain text-mode apps (believe this is limited to curses apps) when I log in to a remote system via ssh. The remote system runs Ubuntu 8.04, btw. Using mc and aptitude is where I've seen the problem so far. Letters/words display fine when using those apps but the line characters are all funky--letters are displayed instead of lines, for example. My usual solution for this is to use the command mc -a, but that does not resolve the problem in this case: the line characters are still displayed as letters. When logging in from a console (not under X), mc and aptitude display fine over this ssh connection.

On both systems the term environment is set to xterm. So, I'm having difficulty figuring out where the problem lies and how to remedy it. Suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

#2 2008-11-29 14:38:44

jamtat

Re: some text-mode apps not displaying correctly in ssh sessions

I've finally resolved this problem. It seems to be a problem with locale and the fact that locales need to be manually generated under Arch (in Debian/Ubuntu they are auto-generated). Instructions found in the Wiki at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Con … ry_locales helped me to resolve my problem.

James

Board footer