You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-29 18:49:11

yanik

My name is...

Hi everyone,

My name is Yanik and I just wanted to present myself because I'll be here pretty often since I just found my second fav distro!  I'm a 25y.o. french canadian from the beautiful city of Montréal, in Québec.   

I have a good linux background and I'm at the very moment doing an LPIC.  My distro of choice is Libranet (debian) because it just works and the community is the friendliest I have been part of.   The reason I'm here is precisely because libranet just works.  I need a distro that gives me some work to do, without having to compile everything everytime! 

I also needed a distro with a good package manager, not just some poor port of APT.  Pacman seems great and easy to master. 
I also like the fact that there aren't too many people here.  I hate crowds smile

At the moment I'm running debian sid (I broke the adminmenu, the utility that makes libranet stand out!) with kernel 2.6.7 and gnome 2.8.  It works very well, but I'd like to see xorg in action, which doesn't seems to be anytime soon on debian.

Even tho I'm new to Arch, I hope I'll be able to help some of you with general linux probs, and that you could help me a bit when I feel I googled enough, got thru the docs and wiki, and of course this forum.

Yanik

# cd /pub
# man women
No manual entry for women
# more beer

#2 2004-09-29 19:08:03

dp
Website

Re: My name is...

yanik wrote:

Hi everyone,

My name is Yanik and I just wanted to present myself because I'll be here pretty often since I just found my second fav distro!  I'm a 25y.o. french canadian from the beautiful city of Montréal, in Québec.

nice to meet you

my name is Damir and i'm a 21y old swiss from basel

yanik wrote:

I have a good linux background and I'm at the very moment doing an LPIC.  My distro of choice is Libranet (debian) because it just works and the community is the friendliest I have been part of.   The reason I'm here is precisely because libranet just works.  I need a distro that gives me some work to do, without having to compile everything everytime!

you didn't meet _us_ yet ;-)

hmm ... you search for work? running arch is very similar to libranet, but much better in some points ;-)

of course, there is work to do --- you can work on the wiki and also test pkgs from "testing" (gnome 2.8)

yanik wrote:

I also needed a distro with a good package manager, not just some poor port of APT.  Pacman seems great and easy to master. 
I also like the fact that there aren't too many people here.  I hate crowds smile

you are absolutely right here - welcome!

yanik wrote:

At the moment I'm running debian sid (I broke the adminmenu, the utility that makes libranet stand out!) with kernel 2.6.7 and gnome 2.8.  It works very well, but I'd like to see xorg in action, which doesn't seems to be anytime soon on debian.

need xorg? we are running R6.8.1 (at the moment of writing --- you never knows, if it is updated in some seconds here, as we run newest released libs/apps)

yanik wrote:

Even tho I'm new to Arch, I hope I'll be able to help some of you with general linux probs, and that you could help me a bit when I feel I googled enough, got thru the docs and wiki, and of course this forum.

Yanik

cool! welcome around!

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-09-29 19:09:07

sarah31
Website

welcome,

I came from libranet long ago. Don't have much nice to say about the distro, developers and community but oh well to each their own.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2004-09-29 20:38:00

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Bienvenue,

My name is Eric and I am  a physic graduate student at Université de Montréal. I installed Arch Linux on my laptop a month ago and I am very satisfied.  I find it very easy to build your own package.

#5 2004-09-29 20:56:13

colnago

Bon jour Yanik,

My name is Chris and I am also a physics graduate student , although not from Montréal.  Good to see you out.

#6 2004-09-29 20:58:33

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

HIIIII!!!!

#7 2004-09-29 21:05:24

dadexter
Website

yanik wrote:

Hi everyone,

Wow a fellow french canadian...

#8 2004-09-29 21:30:59

normnmiles

howdy, yanik!  I don't like to talk much but I'm always here lurking around.  Been using Arch for a while now and can't complain.

My only recommendation is to keep your /var/cache/pacman/pkg directory intact as much as your system resources allow.

#9 2004-09-29 22:56:16

yanik

Well that"s just great,

I already feel at home  smile

Yanik

# cd /pub
# man women
No manual entry for women
# more beer

#10 2004-09-29 23:30:05

aCoder
Website

*Waves hand in slightly disturbing way*

yanik, you are home...

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#11 2004-09-30 07:27:31

dunix

Hey Yanik

Morten from Denmark here, 24 years old...

Nice to have you  with us:)

Dunix the new Devil amongst Devils

#12 2004-09-30 08:28:47

oscar

oscar here, from Stockholm, Sweden.
I'm 18 years old, currently studying computers in school, and spend my spare time doing nothing, but I'm somehow always busy... smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#13 2004-09-30 09:05:49

Legout

Hello!!

Volker from Wuerzburg/Germany!!

Physics gradute student.  :twisted:

#14 2004-10-06 10:01:43

skoal
Website

Well, hello!

I'm 78 years old, lazy, and like to drink Shiner Bock while I "pinch" off a few tasty morsels of tobacco from my can of Skoal.  Personally, I think you will find that Arch Linux is the next best thing to laying down on the couch one Saturday morning, watching Cartoons and picking stars and clovers out of your box of Lucky Charms, all the while trying to balance a bottle of beer on your stomach without spilling it.

Welcome...

Board footer