You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-01 04:11:33

greblus
Website

[Solved] X.org - synaptics - tapping works only after suspend-to-ram.

Hi.

I've been using X.org from testing since October (first some rc of 1.5.1 IIRC, finally 1.5.3-1) and it was working flawlessly on my Thinkpad R61 without xorg.conf, but after yesterday's upgrade touchpad doesn't work correctly. I've spent some time today trying to solve this issue and as of now the situation is:

- I've no xorg.conf and I want X to autoconfigure itself.
- to the 11-x11-synaptics.fdi I added only:

<merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig"        type="string">true</merge>

because synclient needs it.

What's strange: tapping works, but only after "echo mem > /sys/power/state". After a reboot, it doesn't. Also, when it wakes up after suspend to ram, the acceleration of the touchpad is different (faster) so it seems that it's re-initialized somehow, but how? And what has changed since 1.5.3-1? I already tried to downgrade the kernel as well, no luck.

Before the upgrade it was working without any specific configuration.

SOLUTION:

Of course it was (partially) my fault. I downgraded xf86-input-synaptics to 0.15.2-1 at the very begining of my attempts to get rid of the problem and it needed a "suspend-resume" magic to work. Older version of input-synaptics driver doesn't need to have anything enabled, 0.99.1 needs to have all these features enabled (maybe there are too many of them now, so the user has to chose what's really necessary). I need this:

<match key="info.product" contains="AlpsPS/2 ALPS">
        <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig"        type="string">true</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.shmconfig" type="string">on</merge> -->
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">1</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2" type="string">2</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3" type="string">3</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.vertedgescroll" type="string">true</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.horizedgescroll" type="string">true</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.RightEdge" type="string">920</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.BottomEdge" type="string">700</merge> 
        <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizScrollDelta" type="string">20</merge>
      </match>

in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-x11-synaptics.fdi, but I also had to remove gsynaptics package, otherwise tapping required a lot of time (and it surely was set in gnome preferences).

Now it works as before. The only thing I wasnt stubborn enough to activate was two finger scrolling, but I don't like it.

Cheers,
W.

Last edited by greblus (2008-12-01 18:40:07)

Board footer