You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-01 09:18:37

chochem
Website

Xorg upgrade conflicts with cairo-lcd?

The upgrade today insists on installing cairo and in the process removing the cairo-lcd package (anti-aliasing version for lcd displays)

How do I upgrade and keep anti-aliasing? Can I replace the cairo package after the upgrade? Or maybe reinstall the cairo-lcd package and just call it 'cairo'?

#2 2008-12-01 10:30:22

lanxu

Re: Xorg upgrade conflicts with cairo-lcd?

The upgrade suggests cairo to be upgraded because it's newer than cairo-lcd installed on your system. For my case I had cairo-lcd version 1.8.0. However the newer cairo is version 1.8.4. Just recompile AUR package with newer version. cairo-lcd == cairo, but with LCD filter. smile

cairo-lcd: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=16459

If the package is still out-of-date, you can always download current one and modify pkgver in PKGBUILD to suit your needs. Also make sure to modify md5sum for the newer source package.

Last edited by lanxu (2008-12-01 10:31:36)

#3 2008-12-01 11:49:42

chochem
Website

Thanks, lanxu. I eventually figured it out myself - though after laboriously switching to cairo-ubuntu, libxft-ubuntu, etc. (which are more up to date).

EDIT: BTW is there really no way to switch one package for another which "provides" the same service without removing the package in question (and everything that depends on it) adn then installing the new one. I'm asking because uninstalling the default fontconfig in favor of ubuntu-fontconfig would have required uninstalling some 800 Megabytes worth of programs...

Last edited by chochem (2008-12-01 11:53:09)

#4 2008-12-01 13:36:48

xaiviax

chochem wrote:

EDIT: BTW is there really no way to switch one package for another which "provides" the same service without removing the package in question (and everything that depends on it) adn then installing the new one. I'm asking because uninstalling the default fontconfig in favor of ubuntu-fontconfig would have required uninstalling some 800 Megabytes worth of programs...

Just use pacman -Rd to remove package (won't remove packages depending on it, temporarily breaking them) and then install the new package providing dependencies.

Board footer