You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-27 04:10:09

flintmecha

[UNSOLVED] Synaptics Touchpad & Firefox: Horizontal Scroll

Hey guys.. i'm having a problem with my laptop's Synaptics Touchpad and Firefox.

I can't seem to get my touchpad to allow me to scroll horizontally in the browser (when, say, there's a wide image on a page for instance). Whenever I try to scroll by sliding my finger side-to-side on the bottom edge of my touchpad, the page scrolls up and down, just like the vertical scroll on the right edge!

At first I thought it was a problem with horizontal scrolling on the Synaptics driver in general, but I discovered that if I have something like File Browser open, I can scroll horizontally with the touchpad, so the problem lies ONLY with Firefox.

I have looked for solutions already and everything I find only talks about a possible issue where Firefox might treat the Touchpad's horizontal scrolling and Forward and Back actions and how to fix this. But this is not the problem I am having. But I do have mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action set to 1 in my about:config, which from what I've read is supposed to be correct to allow h. scrolling.

Any ideas?

Last edited by flintmecha (2008-12-01 23:24:37)

#2 2008-12-01 23:25:22

flintmecha

Re: [UNSOLVED] Synaptics Touchpad & Firefox: Horizontal Scroll

I hope it's alright that I bump this. hmm

#3 2008-12-02 00:24:40

otti

Maybe you should provide more information, like your configuration of the synaptics driver (xorg.conf), the version of xorg-server, etc.
I use the synaptics driver too, and horizontal scrolling works just fine.

Have you tried to disable all add-ons and start with a "pure" firefox?
Maybe you could also try to use a new profile for firefox...

#4 2008-12-02 01:07:24

firecat53
Website

FYI, with my Synaptics touch pad and firefox, it works, but I have the mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action set to 0 (default). In fact, all of the settings in about:config with 'mousewheel' in them are all at the default setting. I just had to setup the xorg.conf (old way) or the the /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-x11-synaptics.fdi (new way) correctly to enable the horizontal scrolling.

Good luck!
Scott

Board footer