You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-30 18:01:49

Jacek Poplawski
Website

new xorg and keyboard/mouse

Guys, are you crazy?!

After xorg update on stable system you have to add:

Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"

in ServerLayout or your X will be inaccesible!

#2 2008-11-30 18:24:42

mutlu_inek

Re: new xorg and keyboard/mouse

Jacek Poplawski wrote:

After xorg update on stable system you have to add

No, I don't. tongue

It might be helpful if you add the error message you got or if you described your problem for others to find this.

#3 2008-11-30 18:34:13

eduhat

Im also having a problem starting X. I have tried the numerous ways described in the archwiki to configure my Xorg server but it still doesnt work. When i run the X -configure command, i see the screen but its like my machine freezes, i cant use the mouse nor can i ctrl-alt-backspace out of X, im forced to hard reboot the computer. Any ideas? This started happening after the release of all these packages today

#4 2008-11-30 18:44:59

ozar

The updates seem to have worked fine for me.

Looks like it affects certain hardware.

oz

#5 2008-11-30 18:47:15

mutlu_inek

eduhat wrote:

Im also having a problem starting X. I have tried the numerous ways described in the archwiki to configure my Xorg server but it still doesnt work. When i run the X -configure command, i see the screen but its like my machine freezes, i cant use the mouse nor can i ctrl-alt-backspace out of X, im forced to hard reboot the computer. Any ideas? This started happening after the release of all these packages today

This is not verbose enough for anyone to help you. Also, this is the wrong thread.

#6 2008-11-30 18:50:33

skottish
Forum Fellow

eduhat wrote:

If you haven't already, try and install xf86-input-evdev and see if that doesn't fix the problem. A restart may be required.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was totally idiotic of me! I went in with a live CD to correct this when it happened to me. There has to be a way to stop the system from trying to boot to X while it's starting up, but I don't know how to do this.

Last edited by skottish (2008-11-30 18:59:46)

#7 2008-11-30 19:32:48

Paul-S

I just ran pacman got the updates and rebooted and X wouldn't come up, complained about, RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb" in the Section "Files" of my xorg.conf so I edited it out and X started working again.

#8 2008-11-30 19:49:55

InsektO
Website

Paul-S wrote:

I just ran pacman got the updates and rebooted and X wouldn't come up, complained about, RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb" in the Section "Files" of my xorg.conf so I edited it out and X started working again.

Yeap, i did the same, but nevertheless, keymap is all wrong.

#9 2008-11-30 19:53:12

mutlu_inek

InsektO wrote:

keymap is all wrong.

This might help: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=59931
Also, reading the wiki on hotplugging linked in the announcement will tell you about keyboards.

#10 2008-11-30 20:22:17

InsektO
Website

mutlu_inek wrote:
InsektO wrote:

keymap is all wrong.

This might help: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=59931
Also, reading the wiki on hotplugging linked in the announcement will tell you about keyboards.

Thanks. big_smile

I had they keyboard configured to Evdev managed keyboard, but anyways, some keys would not work. Others had different funtions (up key was mapped to Print Screen hmm). I finally decided, like the wiki said, to remove that hotplugging crap.

#11 2008-11-30 20:36:52

eduhat

I got X to start but now when it starts i dont have any mouse or keyboard functionality. I used hwd to configure the xorg,conf and i edited out the rgb path thing. Everytime this happens i hard reboot the computer. I have an IBM T43.

#12 2008-11-30 21:03:20

Army

Don't use hwd, use X -configure !!! Please!!!

#13 2008-11-30 22:20:04

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

to stop x from executing on boot, add "single" to the kernel line in grub.
grub -> choose the desired kernel, press "e" to edit, press "e" to edit the kernel line, add "single to the end, press "b" to boot.

you need xf86-input-evdev and if you have a synaptics touchpad, xf86-input-synaptics.

make sure hal is working correctly "try starting it using "hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes". no hal -> no hotplugging -> no keyboard/mouse.

if you're good so far, x should work with a mouse + keyboard.

to set a non-us keymap, you need to "cp /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi /etc/hal/fdi/policy/" and then edit the keymap part of that file.

if you're using synaptics, check the forums.. there's at least 5 other threads with a working hal config file for synaptics.

Last edited by schuay (2008-11-30 22:20:54)

#14 2008-12-02 02:59:42

jcci

Today morning I had to face 5 computer without keyboard and mouse operation after update - what a horror. The main problem was that all computer are slim clients (not totally thin) and does not use dbus and hal. At last the solution worked as followed:
1. Stop the Xserver and remove the old xorg.conf
2. Add the evdev driver (pacman -S xf86-input-evdev)
3. Start dbus and hal; add to rc.conf (most computer use dbus and hal anyway)
4. Start the xserver (startx) and check the function as well as the resolution
5. In case of resolution problems create an xorg file (Xorg -configure). Nvidia worked right away with nvidia-xconfig

Before doing all that for safety I did a system update. Arch very oftern delivered quick patches after bigger updates.
Hope it helps!

Board footer