You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-28 17:52:54

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Tilda is good Yakuake replacement

If, like me, you're off KDE for a while, you might be looking for a decent drop-down terminal that doesn't pull in all kinds of KDE libs. I've tried several in the past couple of days and finally settled on Tilda.

Tilda is more responsive on my system than Yakuake, especially when I'm not running KDE. It's also highly configurable. (It even has -- horrors -- configuration by GUI.) I don't usually mind editing simple config files, but after fooling around for a few hours trying, unsuccessfully, to get Yeahconsole to use a custom toggle key, I was pretty happy to see Tilda's idiot-proof approach.

(Yeahconsole is actually very easy to configure via ~/.Xdefaults, and there are good sample configs floating around on the Net. I just had a conflict with the toggle key combo that I wanted and couldn't manage to override the conflict.)

I think I remember trying Tilda a long time ago and choosing against it for a reason I can't remember. If there was a big problem then, it's either been fixed, or it's not a problem for me anymore.

Tilda is in the /community repo.

Last edited by dhave (2008-11-28 18:21:21)

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#2 2008-11-28 18:53:54

cdwillis

Re: Tilda is good Yakuake replacement

I haven't used either of those, but for a period I was using guake which is also in the repos. It was quick and pretty good on memory.

#3 2008-11-28 19:22:20

dhave

cdwillis wrote:

I haven't used either of those, but for a period I was using guake which is also in the repos. It was quick and pretty good on memory.

Hmm.
By the name, it looks gnomish. Is it? I was trying to avoid the libs that come with KDE, Gnome et al.

Donate to Arch!

#4 2008-11-28 19:52:06

cdwillis

When I installed it with pacman the only dependency was vte-0.17.4-2. The descrition is that it's a drop down terminal for the gnome desktop environment though.

#5 2008-11-28 20:18:50

jorpheus

dhave wrote:
cdwillis wrote:

Hmm.
By the name, it looks gnomish. Is it? I was trying to avoid the libs that come with KDE, Gnome et al.

It is. A lot of deps if you're not using a lot of Gnome. I like Tilda, except for one little problem: I autostart it, and don't close it before shutdown - on the next restart, it prompts me to configure it all over again. Annoying. So much I stopped using it a while go.

#6 2008-11-28 20:21:37

dhave

jorpheus wrote:

I like Tilda, except for one little problem: I autostart it, and don't close it before shutdown - on the next restart, it prompts me to configure it all over again. Annoying. So much I stopped using it a while go.

I'm not having that problem. I'm running Xfce4, and I have tilda autostarted via the Xfce4 Session and Startup dialog.

Donate to Arch!

#7 2008-11-28 20:31:02

VirtualRider

Hi,

tilda isn't working good in my opinion. I was searching for an alternative to Yakuake and found "yeahconsole" its very lightweight, has not much dependencys, but it's a little tricky to configure because it uses xterm.

My configuration in /home/myhome/.Xresources is:

yeahconsole*term: xterm -fn "-misc-fixed-medium-*-*-*-15-140-75-75-c-90-iso8859-1 -sl 1000 -bg white -fg black

yeahconsole*consoleHeight: 25
yeahconsole*toggleKey: None+F12
yeahconsole*aniDelay: 0
yeahconsole*stepSize: 25
yeahconsole*screenWidth: 1920

EDIT: Forgot my question - what is your preferred toggle key?

Last edited by VirtualRider (2008-11-28 20:32:09)

#8 2008-11-28 21:06:08

jorpheus

dhave wrote:
jorpheus wrote:

I like Tilda, except for one little problem: I autostart it, and don't close it before shutdown - on the next restart, it prompts me to configure it all over again. Annoying. So much I stopped using it a while go.

I'm not having that problem. I'm running Xfce4, and I have tilda autostarted via the Xfce4 Session and Startup dialog.

How about shutting down? Do you close prior to it?

#9 2008-11-28 23:00:53

dhave

VirtualRider wrote:

EDIT: Forgot my question - what is your preferred toggle key?

F12 was one that I wanted to try, and I see that you're using that. I couldn't get anything except the default to work. Other yeahconfig lines that I put in my .Xdefaults were effective, so I just figured that there was something interferring with key binding.

Donate to Arch!

#10 2008-11-28 23:02:33

VirtualRider

If i remember correctly it wasn't working at first, too - i had to add the "none" before F12

#11 2008-11-28 23:04:09

dhave

jorpheus wrote:
dhave wrote:

How about shutting down? Do you close prior to it?

I don't quit tilda, if that's what you mean. I just shut down or restart without paying any attention to open apps. I don't have Xfce4 set to reopen previously open apps, so I'm certain (or reasonably so) that tilda is being autostarted. And when it autostarts, it remembers its previous config.

Donate to Arch!

#12 2008-11-28 23:16:07

dhave

VirtualRider wrote:

If i remember correctly it wasn't working at first, too - i had to add the "none" before F12

Yeah, I had tried "None+F12". In fact, I tried all kinds of toggle combos, but none of them were recognized. But I know that my ~/.Xdefaults were being processed, because the other changes I would make for yeahconfig would take effect. It was only the toggle key that I couldn't control. I found the default Ctrl-Alt-y to be too cumbersome.

With tilda I'm using the "Next-Right" key on my Thinkpad. It's to the right of the up arrow on the lower right corner of the keyboard. It's easy to configure with tilda. FWIW, it's the F20 key. I couldn't get it to work in yeahconsole, either (not with "None+F20" or "ALT+F20" or "Alt+F20" or anything).

Donate to Arch!

#13 2008-11-29 01:22:14

VirtualRider

Ok that's in fact a little weird. For me i don't have any problem with yeahconsole.

I'm afraid i can't help you - could be anything. Maybe you use an older version? Maybe your keymap/keyboard isn't compatible with yeahconsole or something like that. You could try to use your config from .Xresources instead of Xdefaults, but i don't think this will change anything.

Good luck with it, or just stay with tilda smile

#14 2008-11-29 02:49:33

Square

In my opinion, stjerm has worked better than any other drop-down console I've used. I don't use it any longer, but I would still recommend it to anyone with an interest.

#15 2008-11-29 15:10:40

jorpheus

Couldn't get yeahconsole to work, stjerm worked nicely, but development has stopped, it would seem, so a bit more testing is in order to see if it's a good enough replacement for Tilda.

#16 2008-11-30 14:56:50

atasmrk

jorpheus wrote:
dhave wrote:
cdwillis wrote:

Hmm.

It is. A lot of deps if you're not using a lot of Gnome. I like Tilda, except for one little problem: I autostart it, and don't close it before shutdown - on the next restart, it prompts me to configure it all over again. Annoying. So much I stopped
using it a while go.

Had this problem with configuration too. I solved it by setting read only permission to tilda config file.

#17 2008-11-30 21:06:14

jorpheus

atasmrk wrote:
jorpheus wrote:
dhave wrote:

Hmm.

It is. A lot of deps if you're not using a lot of Gnome. I like Tilda, except for one little problem: I autostart it, and don't close it before shutdown - on the next restart, it prompts me to configure it all over again. Annoying. So much I stopped
using it a while go.

Had this problem with configuration too. I solved it by setting read only permission to tilda config file.

Well, perhaps this comes in handy one day for someone searching for a solution to this problem. But then again, Stjerm is working pretty good, I don't miss anything from Tilda (is there something to miss? can't think of anything), and it seems to be lighter/less RAM-hungry.

#18 2008-12-02 15:36:29

dhave

Square wrote:

In my opinion, stjerm has worked better than any other drop-down console I've used. I don't use it any longer, but I would still recommend it to anyone with an interest.

You guys are right that stjerm (why not sjterm?) is another good yakuake replacement. The only thing I haven't been able to get it to do is accept F20 as a toggle key (on my Thinkpad keyboard, F20 is the "next right" key to the right of the up arrow key at the lower right corner of the keyboard).

Donate to Arch!

#19 2008-12-03 02:12:13

iphitus
Forum Fellow

I use some floated urxvt's on a dwm tag and have caps bound to toggle the visibility of that tag.

Board footer