You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-03 13:03:58

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

segmentation fault on fresh install (alsamixer) and X freezes

Just installed 2008.6 x86_64 and have been following the great guide on the wiki for installation.  I think I hit a roadblock though at Part II: Install X and configure ALSA.  I got alsa-utils via pacman, but when I attempted to run alsamixer, I got a segmentation fault:

alsamixer: Symbol 'acs-map' has different size in shared object.  Consider relinking

Excited to see if I could get into X, I ignored this and continued following the guide:

# pacman -S xorg mesa nvidia

Finished without errors; nvidia-xconfig also worked fine, and my /etc/X11/xorg.conf looked good.  Problem occurred when I tried to load x via a 'startx' command.  X started just fine, and opened an xterm, but the system was hardlocked at that point - I couldn't get to a virtual console, ctrl-c failed, etc.

I'm seeking advice since my LINUX tenure is pretty short smile

Thanks!

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#2 2008-12-03 13:18:55

jacko

Re: segmentation fault on fresh install (alsamixer) and X freezes

Well, then uninstall alsa if you think that is the issue. You don't need sound right now anyway. so eliminate that from the system and then try to startx.

I'm not so sure this is a alsa issue. Can you use a livecd and mount the drive and check your xorg.0.log file and check for EE(errors) or WW(warnings).

Anyway, that is how I would start off. No need to seek advice, just start off by eliminating what you think is the issue and then go from there.

showing us your xorg.conf might help as well. Also, did you install from full cd install or ftp install?

Last edited by jacko (2008-12-03 13:31:09)

#3 2008-12-03 13:32:50

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Install was from a the 305 MB ISO (CD).  I uninstalled alsa and X.  I downloaded lynx and found that I would seg fault when loading it too... something is wrong smile

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2008-12-03 13:33:35

jacko

When was the last time you updated the system? Some important changes have been made since 2008.6 release of the install CD. I am suspecting that is your main issue.

try force updating the system

pacman -Syyu

Have you considered hardware? was this computer in well working order when you installed arch?

Last edited by jacko (2008-12-03 13:37:48)

Board footer