You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-15 18:07:57

Robstar

Enlightenment, reboot and shutdown

I got a new pc and quickly installed Arch on it. My old pc has the same setup and I am sure I have done the same for my new pc. I installed enlightenment, but for some reason, when I go into the 'System' menu, I cannot shutdown or reboot like I can do normally. My laptop, which has a slightly older version of e17, has this ability. Having no shutdown and reboot usually meant that I had not added myself to a certain group. Groups: users, power, network, optical and wheel, are the groups that I am in, but that should mean I can reboot and shutdown.

The only difference between the two, is one i686 and the other x86_64, but that should not be a problem. The way they have been installed could be a factor, maybe. I would normally download the svn trunk myself and then install them into /opt. But on my new pc, I thought I would make my life a little bit easier and make some PKGBUILD and use makepkg and pacman to do the work for me. Everything installed ok, so what could it be?

32-bit Gentoo -to- Arch64
If you could be so kind, but when you found the solution,
edit your first post and add to the title '[SOLVED]'.

#2 2008-11-15 18:20:58

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Enlightenment, reboot and shutdown

Did you start fresh with E17 or did you copy over any files like the ~/.e directory? I ask because I'm not having this problem, and the only groups that I'm in are:

ftp video audio optical storage skottish tex

#3 2008-11-16 16:17:47

Robstar

I did copy over the ~/.e after installation. I had a go at removing the folder and let it create another one. I still have the same options. It looks like then, it could be the permission of a certain file that makes it possible to shutdown and reboot as a lower user.

#4 2008-11-24 12:07:48

Robstar

My idea on a certain file not giving me permission seems to be correct. After logging in as root, I had all the options that would normally appear. Question is, what is not letting me do what I want and how the hell did this occur.

When installing enlightenment, I would CVS (when it was still on CVS) myself and then painfully and progressively install them (For some reason I got a lot of errors, but soon found out is was mostly pkgconfig to be the culprit). All I would have to do is reboot, and my System menu would have Restart, Shutdown and Hibernate. I know it is not the move from CVS to SVN because I installed the SVN versions manually, without a fuss on my laptop. Only when I used the Arch PKGBUILDs and forced it to install in /opt, where my laptop has them installed, has this problem occurred.

My only option then, is to completely remove enlightenment and install it manually. The only other thing it may be is that I haven't got the Environment Variables right.

#5 2008-11-24 15:19:16

bgc1954

If you end up still having trouble, check out the /etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf file.  There is a spot in it to specifically allow certain users to halt,reboot,etc.  This may or may not help you as I didn't have to edit this file to have those options but it may help out your particular case.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#6 2008-11-28 23:01:29

EVRAMP
Website

This might be an issue in SVN (that might be fixed meanwhile). What biuld of E17 are you using?
The same thing happened to me when updating to e-svn 37832. The menu for Reboot, Shut Down, Suspend, etc. is missing...

#7 2008-11-29 01:05:29

bgc1954

EVRAMP wrote:
This might be an issue in SVN (that might be fixed meanwhile). What biuld of E17 are you using?
The same thing happened to me when updating to e-svn 37832. The menu for Reboot, Shut Down, Suspend, etc. is missing...

This just happened to me too when I did a pacman -Syu today.  I just ended up deleting my ~/.e folder and relogging into e17 and setting everything up again.  I now get a menu of icons for Shutdown, Reboot .. etc.  I kinda like the old icon and text selection better.

Edit:  I actually downgraded to e-svn-37136 first and that fixed my loss of the shutdown menus, but the above method let me stay with e-svn-37832.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2008-11-29 01:09:41)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#8 2008-11-29 11:12:02

EVRAMP
Website

From the #e channel on IRC:
"In the newest SVN that functionality was moved out to a module, which does not work properly yet."
However, that menu is created on new E17 configuration, so (re)moving the .e/ folder in your home directory solves this.

Last edited by EVRAMP (2008-11-29 11:19:23)

#9 2008-12-03 03:16:22

smartboyathome
Website

In the newest snapshot, there is a module called System Controls which gives you a system popup instead of a menu, like in GNOME. I don't know if it works with the snapshot, but it works fine on later SVN releases.

#10 2008-12-03 17:27:03

bgc1954

Jeez, I wish I would have known about that module earlier.  Sure enough, when you go to Menu->Settings->Modules there is a Systems Controls module and if you load it you get the shutdown,reboot... etc icons and if you unload the module the System selection disappears.  It appears that you don't have to delete or move your ~/.e folder after all to get the System selection, just load the module. big_smile

Board footer