You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-04 00:52:56

Convergence

Some questions about using non-english characters and keyboard layouts

I've found a lot of guides about how to enable characters in Linux, and that is easy enough, but I want to understand it better.

The way that I understand it, if you don't enable a given set of characters in locale.gen, then in theory you should not be able to either use or display a that set of characters in any programs (however, certain programs, like web-browsers seem to have work arounds).

Furthermore, in order to be able to type characters in X programs, you need to enable those keyboard setups in your xorg.conf (in addition to enabling those locales in locale.gen).  I don't think that this effects the displaying of characters

Then, Last, you need a way to switch back and forth between different keyboard layouts within your X environment in order to type those characters. There are programs to assist in switching keyboard layouts provided by some DE's.  By using these keyboard layout tools, I alter the behaviour of all programs started in X.  (for example, swithing keyboard layouts in gnome's settings will alter the behaviour of kde programs, firefox and openoffice.)

How close am I?

A few more questions:

If I'm a Spanish student which locales do I need to enable.  There is a long list of locales that start with ES, and I don't know if there are any drawbacks to enabling unnecessary locales. I think that the ones that I need are es_ES* (Spanish spanish?) and es_MX* (Mexican spanish?).

What is do the *@EURO locales do?

what does the locale setting in rc.conf do?

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

Board footer