You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-04 23:15:17

steve___

Open URLs in a specifc firefox window

Hi All,
I generally have two, maybe three, firefox windows open at all times.  I have firefox set to open new urls a tab (vs opening a new window).  The problem I have is when selecting a link in another program (weechat, mutt, xpdf) I'm not always sure which firefox window it will be displayed in.  I understand it goes to the window which was last used but hunting around can be a bit annoying.  How do others handle this?

-steve

#2 2008-12-05 04:20:52

u_no_hu

Re: Open URLs in a specifc firefox window

why dont you open it in a new window or a new instance using -no-remote? no more searching :-)

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#3 2008-12-05 04:43:20

peets
Website

Re: Open URLs in a specifc firefox window

That's a pretty hard problem: how would you point a window to firefox? You'd have to go through X to get the window ID (most probably through your window manager). The simplest solution that comes to my mind is to focus on the window you want the link to open in, then focus back on what you were doing.

I myself keep one firefox window per group (virtual desktop); I haven't tested thoroughly, but it seems as though firefox is smart enough to open links in the window that's in the current group.

Board footer