You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-23 09:43:00

dninja
Website

do I need randr and if so, why is it not working

I'm running a desktop with 3 monitors and using xinerama to allow the desktop to span all three screens. I've noticed I'm getting the following error when starting some applications:

Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".

But reading about randr it sounds like it is for laptop users who use external screens to allow the desktop can be resized, so, do I need it? If so, how can I fix the error, if not, how can I remove it so I don't get the error?

From another post I found in the forum, this info may help...

# xrandr
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
RandR extension missing

# grep -i -C 2 randr  /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
(II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
(==) RandR enabled
(II) NVIDIA(1): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(1): Unable to connect to the ACPI daemon; the ACPI daemon may not
--
(**) Option "dpms"
(**) NVIDIA(1): DPMS enabled
(==) RandR enabled
(II) NVIDIA(2): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) NVIDIA(2): Unable to connect to the ACPI daemon; the ACPI daemon may not
--
(**) Option "dpms"
(**) NVIDIA(2): DPMS enabled
(==) RandR enabled
(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) Setting vga for screen 1.
--
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
(II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE

# grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Current Operating System: Linux rastlin 2.6.27-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 17 07:35:10 UTC 2008 i686
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
(EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
(EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
(EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap

# grep -i randr /etc/X11/xorg.conf
<nothing>

#2 2008-12-05 02:28:18

slide_rule

Re: do I need randr and if so, why is it not working

I had the same problem, and after poking around I came to to conclusion that RandR and Xinerama are incompatible: using Xinerama disables the RandR extension.  I switched from Xinerama to Nvidia's Twinview, and the RandR extension is now back.  However, you can't rotate just one display this way, since Twinview presents one big display to the X server (I think).

I don't have a specific reference for this, but here's a thread that touches on most of it:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80953

#3 2008-12-05 08:41:54

dninja
Website

Can twinview handle 3 monitors? All the examples I've looked at show it going into a single devices section and talking about just handling two.

I don't need to rotate anything, just run 3 displays, 2 at one res and the other at slightly higher.

#4 2008-12-05 09:16:24

randomguy

Xinerama was the first extension to enable multihead X, e. g. having one Desktop over 2 or more physical screens. However Xinerama is deprecated in favor of RandR 1.2. RandR 1.2 supports hotplugging of displays, where as X has to be reconfigured and restartet, if you want to change your Xinerama setupt. Sadly nvidia doesn't support RandR 1.2 completely. You can try to setup your monitors through RandR but as long as it works with xinerama i would not bother. Xinerama support could break someday though, because the developers focus on RandR now. The message you get is no error, it's just a warning that RandR gets unloaded because you use Xinerama.

Semi-OT: The lack of full RandR 1.2 support is quite a pain in the ass for laptop users with nvida GPU's. I allready thought about a petition to put some pressure on nvidia. What do you think ?

Last edited by randomguy (2008-12-05 09:21:30)

#5 2008-12-05 12:48:51

dninja
Website

What is the best way to try to setup RandR over 3 screens? I'm happy enough backing up my xorg.conf and them making changes, I can always roll back to my working setup if things fail.

As for the petition, there are a few against Nvidia at the moment about linux support. I'm sure another one won't hurt.

#6 2008-12-05 12:50:32

thomasknowles

randomguy wrote:

Xinerama was the first extension to enable multihead X, e. g. having one Desktop over 2 or more physical screens. However Xinerama is deprecated in favor of RandR 1.2. RandR 1.2 supports hotplugging of displays, where as X has to be reconfigured and restartet, if you want to change your Xinerama setupt. Sadly nvidia doesn't support RandR 1.2 completely. You can try to setup your monitors through RandR but as long as it works with xinerama i would not bother. Xinerama support could break someday though, because the developers focus on RandR now. The message you get is no error, it's just a warning that RandR gets unloaded because you use Xinerama.

Semi-OT: The lack of full RandR 1.2 support is quite a pain in the ass for laptop users with nvida GPU's. I allready thought about a petition to put some pressure on nvidia. What do you think ?

Yesterday I read this:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … &px=NjkwMw

#7 2008-12-05 12:56:13

dninja
Website

Thats good, hopefully it will be soon.

I've downloaded the 180.11 drivers but not yet installed them. I'm really hoping that they improve my video performance as it is currently slower than my 5 year old AGP card was. To the point I can't play videos through mplayer!

#8 2008-12-05 13:24:04

randomguy

thomasknowles wrote:

Thanks for the link. The guys at nvnews forum were way more pessimistic about when RandR 1.2 is going to be supported. Really good news.

Board footer