You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-30 23:54:43

apeiro
Daddy
Website

FAQ Nominations for the Install Guide

So I'm feeling kinda malicious, and I want to create some more work for Dusty and Dennis.  wink

Do you guys n' gals have any suggestions for additions to the FAQ section in the Installation Guide?  I'm looking for those questions that a lot of people have to ask during or soon after the installation phase.  Stuff that lends insight into the way Arch works and little "gotchas" that occur during the install for some people.

Check out the latest revision of the doc for examples.  Dennis has recently updated it.
http://www.archlinux.org/~judd/arch-install-guide.html

Other non-FAQ related suggestions are welcome too.

#2 2004-09-30 23:57:50

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: FAQ Nominations for the Install Guide

*blinks*
*yawns*
*looks around dazedly*
*stretches*

er... did somebody mention work?

*yawns*
*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

#3 2004-10-01 00:58:33

normnmiles

Great work on the installation guide!  My only suggestion would be a short blurb on desktop environments and a link to the desktop guide for installation instructions.

#4 2004-10-01 01:30:03

paranoos

How about mentioning that the AMD K6 line of processors are i586, and won't work with Arch. We could say "Intel Pentium2/Celeron or AMD Athlon/Duron or newer i686 processors." Come to think of it, does Transmeta Crusoe count as i686? We could mention that too.

I keep mentioning this here, but I would like the focus to shift to the quickinst script. We could write a simple installation document detailing the quickinst installation procedure, explaining the most common things to do before and after installing (such as cfdisk, mkreiserfs, mkswap, lilo / grub). We could give an example for each of these to get things working on a typical system, and giving links to printable man pages online for those who need it.

Perhaps I should start working on this document myself, and post it here. Documentors, please let me know if you're interested.

In honesty, I believe the quickinst script would be easier to document. Especially since most of the work will be done by the user with external (stable, already well documented) tools.

0.7 should definitely be moving towards setting up UDev by default. This should be reflected in the documentation.

I've got to get going, but I'll post here again soon smile

#5 2004-10-01 04:44:08

apeiro
Daddy
Website

paranoos wrote:

We could write a simple installation document detailing the quickinst installation procedure, explaining the most common things to do before and after installing (such as cfdisk, mkreiserfs, mkswap, lilo / grub). We could give an example for each of these to get things working on a typical system, and giving links to printable man pages online for those who need it.

Perhaps I should start working on this document myself, and post it here. Documentors, please let me know if you're interested.

Hey, I like that idea.  If you can start such a document on the wiki, we could adopt it into the installation guide as an "Expert" section or something like that.

#6 2004-10-01 15:19:13

sarah31
Website

mention about selecting "DONE" or backstepping. both will fubar your install.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2004-10-01 16:01:59

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

paranoos wrote:

How about mentioning that the AMD K6 line of processors are i586, and won't work with Arch. We could say "Intel Pentium2/Celeron or AMD Athlon/Duron or newer i686 processors." Come to think of it, does Transmeta Crusoe count as i686? We could mention that too.

just to point out, according to amd http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content … 21850.pdf) the K6-2 is a "sixth generation x86" processor... or a 686.

In addition, the Crusoe uses the 586 instruction set - and translates the instructions to VLIW format... sounds like a very cool processor, but still, it's a 586.

In addition, the CyrixIII and VIA-C3 (same model) are listed as 686 processors, however they do not have support for some odd "mov" instruction.... gcc never bothers to say "hmmm I wonder if THIS isntruction is available..." and it generates some of these opcodes from time to time, therefore these need to be 586 compiled as well.

If anyone has some goofy processors, perhaps we can get a list of them... (just check `cat /proc/cpuinfo` for model number)

#8 2004-10-01 16:42:36

paranoos

Everything I've read online suggests that the AMD K6 should be compiled with i586. It may be a 6th generation chip, but it's not fully compatible with i686. Similar to the Cyrix, the K6 does not implement the 686 move function. Also, in another thread, somebody posted this, which is by far the most concise answer on the subject that I could find.

#9 2004-10-01 16:48:50

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

yeah good point - did some searching....
the entire K6 line doesnt support cmov either....
scratch that

#10 2004-10-02 04:44:47

paranoos

I've got a nice document in the wiki now, that describes an Arch Linux installation with quickinst. smile

Feel free to edit it, and discuss here.

And a suggestion for the next Arch Base CD -- it should include rp-ppoe and dependencies for all those poor DSL users out there.

Board footer