You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-06 22:55:15

The Orange Peanut

So frustrating (3d anything freezes my computer)

I had an Ati 9500 Pro AGP before.  The open source Ati drivers froze my computer IMMEDIATELY if I booted into X so I couldn't use those.  fglrx froze my computer about 10 seconds into using any 3d app (or openGL, as the case may be, including simple things like glxgears and a program I wrote that put squares on the screen in OGL).  Obviously, I couldn't use compositing either because its opengl accelerated.

Well, a friend of mine gave me an Nvidia 5200 AGP and I've been trying it for a couple days.  I can run glxgears for a little while, as well as compositing (compiz) for a little while, but both freeze my computer just like the Ati card.  Likewise, Openarena freezes it immediately... its frustrating that I can't get any of the cool effects Linux offers.

Are there any changes in my xorg.conf or my bios that might make this work better?  I feel like something must be wrong with my motherboard physically (maybe the AGP port is borked and can't properly address the proper registers or something) or my system configuration somewhere is messed up.  Is there any way to diagnose this?  I can't afford a new computer right now sad

(when I say freeze, I mean kernel panic sometimes (flashing lights on keyboard) and other times X just stops responding (including the magic sys-req keys and everything else, can't kill X).

#2 2008-12-07 06:42:43

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: So frustrating (3d anything freezes my computer)

Try a new power supply, I know it sounds crazy but try it anyway, ask a friend to test your pc with a power supply from a pc that is working well.
If it doesn't work no loss there, if it does work problem solved smile.
Oh and just because it was working well before it doesn't mean it is still working well, trust me, I've seen it more than once before.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2008-12-07 21:11:12

The Orange Peanut

I'm going to go on and assume that isn't the problem.  Every card I've used has had this behavior in Linux, and even though I've been using Linux for well over a year, when I still had Windows my card worked fine.  Any other ideas or guesses?

I can live with it like this, it just would be nice to have working video card.

#4 2008-12-07 21:52:39

Blind

Well, with the information you are handing out there is not too much help to be expected. How could someone possibly help you on the software side without you giving out the necessary details?
"3D doesn't work on my computer" simply doesn't cut it. What about driver details (are you using Arch's driver package??), xorg/mesa version, xorg.conf, Xorg.0.log, etc???
I am sure there are plenty of peeps here that have their cards working...
Just my 2c
Regards,
Blind

Board footer