You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-06 22:33:48

originalsurfmex

how can i start over without formatting and reinstalling

...i finally broke my system (arch linux survived this architect's abuse longer than any distro!)...i cant run sketchup anymore, i don't know why or what i did, but i can't fix it...somewhere between way too many packages from AUR, and kdemod and gnome and xfce and openbox...

i want a clean arch install using only openbox and awesome and the packages i want (now that ive learned more or less what i want)...the thing is i am stuck in a WPA wireless encryped only area for the next 4 weeks! so i dont want to lose my internet settings but i do want to reset every single other setting that ive done so far from scratch.

im running and hp pavilion tx2000 tablet and arch64

...copying the cache comes to mind, but i don't want to take any chances...suggestions on the best way to do this?

#2 2008-12-06 22:36:17

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: how can i start over without formatting and reinstalling

There is none. If you really want it clean you format the heck out of it, after having your settings backed up.

Anything else besides reinstalling should not be labeled as 'clean', because it isn't.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2008-12-06 22:41:50

originalsurfmex

wow...bummer...so if i back up all my packages in the cache and update the new cache after installation - will i still have my internet?

to be specific - i use the broadcom-wl driver for my wireless and wicd for my encryption and stuff...should i backup anything else?  i dont really want to backup my "settings" because im sure that one .conf file or another is messed up...

#4 2008-12-07 01:00:57

MoonSwan

If I were in your shoes this is what I would do...

- Find the directory where your firmware for the Nic is kept (somewhere under /etc/ndiswrapper usually) and back it up elsewhere.  I use a small spare partition for all my relevant configs like this & associated files.

- Backup any files you made for netcfg under /etc/network.d and any other files you know have no effect on what you're trying to do, such as your fstab config and hosts files.

- I'd also save my packages and use tpowa's installer (find it in the annoucement section) as it allows you to preload your settings while installing so you can have your wpa access up & running while installing as well as having your packages available to be installed all at once.  Quite a cool trick I think.

#5 2008-12-07 07:12:43

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

originalsurfmex wrote:

wow...bummer...so if i back up all my packages in the cache and update the new cache after installation - will i still have my internet?

to be specific - i use the broadcom-wl driver for my wireless and wicd for my encryption and stuff...should i backup anything else?  i dont really want to backup my "settings" because im sure that one .conf file or another is messed up...

Well at least your wireless is working huh wink. So copy over that firmware and other relevant files and reinstall.

Also: get a nice trusty UTP cable and hook it up to your AP/router/... when you install, if you have physical access to it. Makes things a hell of a lot easier.

Last edited by B (2008-12-07 07:12:59)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2008-12-07 17:05:47

eerok

In this circumstance I'd make a new partition and use this or a similar method to get a fresh install.  It's not that hard to get a basic Arch going, and it's even easier to do from a working distro that contains all your settings.

noobus in perpetuus

#7 2008-12-08 04:15:02

originalsurfmex

thanks for the feedback,

i didnt copy my package list, just my packages - so i couldnt just drop them in the cache.  i ended up making a local repository, and a custom pkgbuild of broadcom-wl before wiping out my system.  its nice to be clean, just openbox and programs i want!

Board footer