You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-09 19:48:35

ninjaprawn

2 problems left 2 fix after xorg upgrade

hi,

im sure everyone is sick of the questions on here after the xorg upgrade, but I have 2 more I can't find answers to;

1/. when i try to use Eterm, it is always on top of every other application, but is never in focus! to use it, i am having to type commands into mousepad, then paste them with the mouse wheel into Eterm. I dont use any decoration on Eterm either, so with it not ever being in focus, keyboard shortcuts dont close it, so to close it, i have to write 'ps -ax' into mousepad, copy & paste with the wheel back into Eterm, find the PID, then type 'kill <PID>' into mousepad, then again copy & paste with the wheel back into Eterm!

2/. when X starts up, i have openbox, xcompmgr, stalonetray and tint2 autostart through my ~/.xinitrc, however, stalonetray is not visible and there are no shadows around either untill i have dragged another application over where they should be!

just so you know, i have disabled hotplugging in my xorg untill i have time to set it up properly!
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … otplugging

thanks

Last edited by ninjaprawn (2008-12-09 20:29:39)

2007 - Started using Arch Linux as my only/main OS
- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD
On board intel Graphics & Sound

#2 2008-12-09 20:01:27

brisbin33
Website

Re: 2 problems left 2 fix after xorg upgrade

i'm also having xcompmgr problems since the xorg update.  when i start any kde apps my conky window flickers and vanishes for a bit.  also if i kill conky, all of my windows vanish... until i click on something and drag it around the screen where the windows should be..

try running your system w/o xcompmgr and see how many of your problems that fixes.  and if you find a way to get xcompmgr working as it was before... please let me know!

#3 2008-12-09 20:23:53

ninjaprawn

good idea, disabling xcompmgr fixed my 2nd point, but the fist problem is still there! i will play with xcompmgr, see what i can do! might be xorg though?

- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD

#4 2008-12-09 21:38:42

ninjaprawn

ok, i have been trying to fix my Eterm first. Firstly i run Eterm with -x argument, which is jus ment to open it with no decoration, however, after this update, it seems to now run Eterm with no decoration, unfocused, and always on top!

if I run Eterm without the -x argument, its fine! I think openbox can do apps without decoration or borders, so i will have a play with that!

-----

with regards to xcompmgr, and not starting up quite right, i will play with xcompmgr & xorg.conf and post back any success / failure i have!

#5 2008-12-09 22:09:58

ninjaprawn

i have solved my first question, using using <decor>no</decor> in my menu.xml & rc.xml

just my second question left. i think a bit of playing will fix it!

thanks

Board footer