You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-04 17:18:16

Buziaczek

Big problem with the installation Arch Linux 2008.6 x86_64

Hello everyone. I try to install Arch Linux 2008.6 64 bit version and I everything how is written in the Official Install Guide (avaiable in WIKI ). Durring the installation I choose all four categories of packages( BASE, DEVEL. LIB. SUPPORT ) and don't know what do I wrong. Also I have no access to my floppy disk . Can someone help and send me the image (all enteries) of the FSTAB file which is in /etc/fstab and also I please for the image(photo or all enteries) of the MNTAB which is in /etc directory. Please contact with me. Thank you very much for help. Greetings foe everyone and goodbye.

#2 2008-12-05 03:13:06

viga

Re: Big problem with the installation Arch Linux 2008.6 x86_64

Do you have internet connection?  The online install is very easy.  As long as your video card is not an ATI and you get stuck screwing around with Xorg

#3 2008-12-11 03:16:45

lldmer

The contents of the files you're asking for (/etc/fstab e.g.), differ on most systems. So you won't be able to just use someone else's. For more information on how to configure your /etc/fstab, you can take a look at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab . You can find a lot of other usefull in the wiki aswell.

As for the MNTAB file, I'm not sure what file you mean. Are you talking about /etc/mtab? Cause that file is not meant to be edited. AFAIK it shows what filesystems are mounted, but I'm not sure.

If you want help finding a solution for your problem, please give a some more information on what goes wrong during installation:)

Last edited by lldmer (2008-12-11 03:17:25)

For lack of better words: chair, never, toothbrush, really. Ohw, and fish!

#4 2008-12-11 14:19:16

Cyrusm

just a couple things that might get you on the right track.  First of all, ensure that your user is a member of the "floppy" group (you can check this with the command "groups")  and as far as your fstab entry, It's going to be different from system to system and user to user, but should look something like this

/dev/fd0      /media/floppy      auto      rw,noauto,user,sync      0 0

actually, just check out this sight, it looks extremely useful.

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

hope I was some help smile

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Board footer