You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-07 13:49:40

Nicky726
Website

Can't change resolution (new Xorg)

Hello,

on my laptop, I cannot change resolution since updated to new xorg anymore, only uses native resolution, which is ok with me, but too small for parents... The option in E17 settings disappeared, and xrandr fails:

[nik@northwood ~]$ xrandr -s 1280x1024
Size 1280x1024 not found in available modes
[nik@northwood ~]$ xrandr -s 1024x768
Size 1024x768 not found in available modes

I did add those to xorg.conf, but doesn't seem to work...  Is this still managed by xorg.conf or by hal? (Hotplug is enabled) If by hal, which policy should I edit and how?

"Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to."

#2 2008-12-07 22:53:06

ArchArael

Re: Can't change resolution (new Xorg)

Try this:

[nik@northwood ~]$ xrandr

Then check if the 1280x1024 resolution is available.

If it is then try:

[nik@northwood ~]$ xrandr --mode 1280x1024

On my machine works with and without modes in xorg.conf. I have the latest updates so xorg-server 1.5.3-3.

Last edited by ArchArael (2008-12-07 22:55:57)

#3 2008-12-08 13:51:21

Nicky726
Website

Thanx very much for a hint. I must have been in a strange state of mind when posting the question, for I didn't even manage to try "man xrandr." :-(

Soo, the situation is, that there are only 1400x1050 and 800x600 modes. I manged to look for it a bit and managed to add new desired modes (used gtf to generate appropriate modelines) and bind them to display. And after casting these few commands, resolution switches with xrander -s <name>

Ok, now I'm triing to make it sorta permanent, for I can't expect my parents to cast shell commands. So after some experimenting with adding those to /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, /etc/X11/xorg.conf, I stuck them $HOME/.bashrc, which finaly worked. Though I think that is a pretty ugly hack, to create and bind modes every time user logs in (not speaking bout system bitching me, when I log to text console)

There should be way, how to make xorg to do that when it starts, perhaps xorg.conf, which may be in my case a bit in a desperate state (I suspect xorg, that it doesn't use xorg.conf at all). I may look more into it, probably next weekend, though the school finishes, so there may not be time :-(

#4 2008-12-12 20:54:16

Nicky726
Website

So I wrote a script which does that (creating display modes and setting them to LCD and changing the resolution to desired). Made E17 to look at it as a application and set that application to be run at startup.

So I guees I kinda solved it, though it seems to me that it is an ugly and not much Arch-like solution :-(

Now which only remains is, that after loggin out the resolution stay, while the system thinks it doesn't... strange so login in and runing the script again gives some errors :-/ strange... Give it some time now.

Board footer