You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-12 22:31:56

zak89

Installing Arch on a 2GB CF card?

I am interested in installing Arch64 on a 2GB CF card. Can I just follow the wiki's intructions for installing on a USB key (ie, is there anything CF specific)? And is 2GB a reasonable amount for a slimmed down desktop?

My new Dell has a built in media reader and seems to support booting from it (at least, it attempts to boot the normal cards if I leave them in at boot), so I though this might be "cheap" way to play an expendible system.

#2 2008-12-12 23:06:59

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Installing Arch on a 2GB CF card?

Faunos has USB flash capability and provides 600 archlinux pacman packages.  It operates at ram speed and is r/o.  Session save allows for changes.

Check it out..2GB is ideal for Faunos,

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2008-12-12 23:14:24

zak89

Cool. Can I install normal archlinux pkgs on it? Or is it not quite compatible?

#4 2008-12-12 23:17:04

zak89

Also, I was thinking of running the Archlinux isntaller using the CF card as the target disk for the installation. Faunos looks like it's designed to just be dumped onto the USB device and booted. Are the instructions for using a USB device any different from a CF card?

#5 2008-12-12 23:34:09

lilsirecho
Veteran

I use four Cf cards in my system.  One is Faunos loaded and is installed as a USB device.

Two other CF cards are mounted with Sata adapters and a third is provided with a cf/IDE interface adapter.  These three comprise a raid0 array of 22GB and reads at 132MB/s.  I use it for a local cache.

The CF cards are UDMA rated Adata 8GB devices.  They operate at UDMA 4 mode as HDD devices but with sdx ID.

All of the CF cards are run primarily as r/o.  The system is probably more than six months in operation with no breakdowns in CF.

One feature of the raid array is that new writes are made to new cells...no overwrites.

I have approx 16GB of data in the raid array much of it pacman packages in formats to load programs into ram executables with pacman -U as needed.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer