You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-12 21:44:13

The Orange Peanut

Trouble with lxappearance

I have two problems trying to customize my gtk+ theme.  I'm using KDE4, but I want to be able to specify my gtk theme separately (ie I don't want KDE4 to integrate gtk apps to look the same; I don't think it does a very good job of it).  I'm using lxappearance to set my gtk+ theme and icon set, except two problems.

1) lxappearance doens't keep my theme settings.  Everytime I reboot I have to reset the theme.  I know it writes the gtk.rc (or whatever it's called, I know I saw it in my home directory) but it doesn't save.  Whats up with that?

2) It seems as if no icon theme is installed except Tango.  There are many listed as available (including oxygen themes), but in lxappearances preview window, only Tango shows icons (and those are the icons that Firefox, for example, is using).  I've installed hicolor theme via pacman because it is a pretty standard theme, just to see if I could get it to work, but even though it is in the list, the icon previews are blank.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Edit:  I grabbed an icon set from gnome look and installed it into my ~/.icons folder and it works fine.  Still doesn't explain why the icons I installed from the repos aren't showing up though...

Last edited by The Orange Peanut (2008-12-12 21:58:26)

#2 2008-12-12 23:40:29

hacosta

Re: Trouble with lxappearance

1.- in system settings->appearance->colors uncheck 'use kde colors for non kde apps' (not at my computer right now so i can't check the exact wording.

2.- Try installing icon-naming-utils

#3 2008-12-13 01:03:21

The Orange Peanut

Re: Trouble with lxappearance

Ah, thanks for the help.  The gtk theme settings are stable now.

I explored /usr/share/icons (where the icon sets named in lxappearance are stored) and they held fonts, but I'm guessing they were kde4 fonts and that's why they didn't show up.  Regardless, as long as I can set the fonts I want (and I have), it isn't really an issue.  Thanks again.

Board footer