You are not logged in.

#26 2008-12-09 21:38:09

wazow

Re: Xorg dri problems, intel "failed to initialize TTM" [EXPLAINED]

Then probably I have to go back and do my homework.  In fact I noticed today that even mplayer plaing an mp3 has ocasional problems.  Indeed something really weird goes on with my machine, and I doubt that it has anything to do with this acceleration thing here.

#27 2008-12-10 11:54:01

hoschi

To Inkaine:
A sophisticated operating system needs constant development and enhancements, that's right. But a sophisticated operating-system must be stable and reliable. A massive performance drop is not reliable sad
To wazow:
Your right.

As far as I know we don't want "patching", but I think it would be okay to wait with for an update until we know that the update works stable and reliable. Of course the aim of a distrubtion should also to be up-to-date so I don't want to critizie someone, I have great respect for open-source developers and thank everyone for his/her great work.

I am just pissed of, because I can play Quake3 now only with half performance and Counter-Strike is unplayable (just a gamer, don't need OpenGL for work). Git-Updates are not a solution, because they are unreliable and unstable.

Thanks

Last edited by hoschi (2008-12-10 12:13:05)

#28 2008-12-10 23:39:00

lonecat

1 fps in tremulous! yay! I could get 60~90 fps always before the update. But according to some people here, that's just a feature...
I must agree with the ones saying the release shouldn't have been on this month. I understand that it will be better, it's supposed to be better, less buggy etc, but it's not fast! at least not by reading a lot of comments, not here surely!

#29 2008-12-11 00:19:33

stefanwilkens

Hey, arch devs are delivering what they promise: bleeding edge. It's open source coded yesterday and running on your system today, to be expected! Crawl behind your keyboard and fix till you drop!

There's always the option of downgrading to solve your issues. Much like people downgrade vista to xp smile

I say keep up the good work and let's hope the kernel / GEM teams catch up with the drivers

Last edited by stefanwilkens (2008-12-11 00:22:29)

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#30 2008-12-12 12:40:14

Pox

If I'm reading this right, it means it's necessary to downgrade xorg-server and the intel driver, yes? How complicated is this process? I'd really like Compiz. sad
(No, I don't have the packages in my pacman cache, just came back from Ubuntu)

#31 2008-12-13 06:44:59

Ronin-Sage
Website

In my case(xf86-video-intel package, since I have the Intel 945GM), what I did is detailed here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=60184. That was *my* situation, mind you, and as always(I guess anyway), downgrading is an overall dodgy thing to do, but yeah...was the only way to address my intel driver issues.

Board footer