You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-12 19:59:20

djg1971

modules

hello.  not sure where to post this question:  i've been using arch for a few months now, and have been very pleased with pacman in general - especially how well kernel updates are handled.  my question is, how would arch experts recommend deciding on which modules should appear in the "modules=(....)" line in /etc/rc.conf ?  based on something i read online a couple months ago (which of course i cannot find now that i think of it), i took hints from "hwdetect --show-modules-order" to modify the modules entry in /etc/rc.conf.  when i did this, it initially seemed to give good results so i went on my way and forgot all about it.  with the past several kernel updates though, upon reboot i keep seeing error messages from modprobe about bay.ko, and when the kernel is being built there are errors parsing hooks for firewire.  none of these prevent the machine from booting, but they are a bit annoying and i have a feeling they could be eliminated rather easily if i were doing something smarter in rc.conf.  advice?

#2 2008-12-12 22:53:50

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: modules

djg1971 wrote:

hello.  not sure where to post this question:  i've been using arch for a few months now, and have been very pleased with pacman in general - especially how well kernel updates are handled.  my question is, how would arch experts recommend deciding on which modules should appear in the "modules=(....)" line in /etc/rc.conf ?  based on something i read online a couple months ago (which of course i cannot find now that i think of it), i took hints from "hwdetect --show-modules-order" to modify the modules entry in /etc/rc.conf.  when i did this, it initially seemed to give good results so i went on my way and forgot all about it.  with the past several kernel updates though, upon reboot i keep seeing error messages from modprobe about bay.ko, and when the kernel is being built there are errors parsing hooks for firewire.  none of these prevent the machine from booting, but they are a bit annoying and i have a feeling they could be eliminated rather easily if i were doing something smarter in rc.conf.  advice?

As time goes on, more and more modules are being inserted correctly auto-magically. My entire modules array is this:

MODULES=(forcedeth slhc uvcvideo fuse !pcspkr !snd_pcsp)

I'm guessing that forcedeth and uvcvideo can be removed, but since I'm not getting any complaints, I haven't done it. Firewire, sound, USB, everything just works.

#3 2008-12-13 08:11:56

string

(I'm no expert) Here's my:

MODULES @ Dell Inspiron 6400:

MODULES=(acpi-cpufreq b43 !b44 !pcspkr !snd_pcsp)

MODULES @ Desktop:

MODULES=(!pcspkr !snd_pcsp)

#4 2008-12-13 11:08:20

koch

i reduced it to the following

MODULES=(r8169)

Board footer