You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-12 21:18:52

Gauvenator

[solved]Problem compiling alsa from source

I'm trying to install alsa-driver-1.0.18a from source because I need to compile it with snd-virtuoso.  So I run "./configure --with-cards=virtuoso --with-sequencer=yes" then when I run "make" I get this at the end of it.

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-ARCH/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a  CPP="gcc -E" CC="gcc" modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.27-ARCH'
  CC [M]  /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/memory_wrapper.o
In file included from /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/memory_wrapper.c:25:
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/include/adriver.h:282:1: warning: "GFP_DMA32" redefined
In file included from include/linux/kmod.h:22,
                 from include/linux/module.h:13,
                 from /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/include/adriver.h:57,
                 from /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/memory_wrapper.c:25:
include/linux/gfp.h:105:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/memory_wrapper.c:25:
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/include/adriver.h:831: error: static declaration of 'jiffies_to_msecs' follows non-static declaration
include/linux/jiffies.h:286: error: previous declaration of 'jiffies_to_msecs' was here
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/include/adriver.h:850: error: static declaration of 'msecs_to_jiffies' follows non-static declaration
include/linux/jiffies.h:288: error: previous declaration of 'msecs_to_jiffies' was here
In file included from /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/include/adriver.h:948,
include/linux/pci.h:627: error: expected identifier or '(' before numeric constant
In file included from include/asm/pci.h:4,
                 from include/linux/pci.h:989,
                 from /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/include/adriver.h:948,
include/linux/mm.h:261: error: conflicting types for 'snd_compat_vmalloc_to_page'
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/include/adriver.h:752: error: previous declaration of 'snd_compat_vmalloc_to_page' was here
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/include/adriver.h: In function 'snd_pci_orig_save_state':
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/include/adriver.h:1197: error: too many arguments to function 'pci_save_state'
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/include/adriver.h: In function 'snd_pci_orig_restore_state':
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/include/adriver.h:1201: error: too many arguments to function 'pci_restore_state'
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/include/adriver.h:1598:1: warning: "page_to_pfn" redefined
In file included from include/asm/page.h:196,
                 from include/asm/pda.h:8,
                 from include/asm/current.h:19,
                 from include/asm/processor.h:15,
                 from include/linux/prefetch.h:14,
                 from include/linux/list.h:6,
                 from include/linux/module.h:9,
                 from /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/include/adriver.h:57,
include/asm-generic/memory_model.h:78:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/memory_wrapper.c: In function 'snd_compat_vmalloc_to_page':
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/memory_wrapper.c:44: error: implicit declaration of function 'VMALLOC_VMADDR'
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/memory_wrapper.c:49: error: incompatible type for argument 1 of 'pud_val'
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/memory_wrapper.c:50: error: implicit declaration of function 'pte_offset'
/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/memory_wrapper.c:50: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
make[3]: *** [/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore/memory_wrapper.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a/acore] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.18a] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.27-ARCH'
make: *** [compile] Error 2

edit: I tried compiling it on another computer and it was able too...not sure why mine wont.  Although I do seem to remember possibly forgetting to uninstall it before making it again (after kernel upgrade)...I've tried multiple times to compile so far.  Is there someway I can get a list of things to delete to manually remove all remnants of a previous install of alsa-driver?

Last edited by Gauvenator (2008-12-13 19:48:11)

#2 2008-12-13 19:47:59

Gauvenator

Re: [solved]Problem compiling alsa from source

Ok I ended up compiling the kernel from source for something else, so I tried compiling the alsa driver from source and it worked...maybe something was leftover in the previous kernel source directory that was causing problems.

Board footer