You are not logged in.

#1 2003-07-18 15:45:59

Gyroplast
Website

New documentation for Nova and Dragon available!

Good morning!

A package containing the english and german versions of the official Archlinux documentation for Dragon and the upcoming Nova release has been added to incoming!  Please feel free to download this tarball and get a glance of the enhanced docs for the 0.5 release, or stuff the 0.4 docs into your archives if you are one of those people keeping them. smile

Make sure to drop suggestions and ideas in here, there's still a lot to be improved in these docs, but these should suffice as installation help. The biggest hurdle I'm currently facing is the constant struggle between staying as concise as possible while offering as much "general information" as feasible, so in the end the 0.5 docs got a bit "fluffy" for my taste. What do you think?

Send typo corrections directly to me, no need to clutter the forum with those.

Now everyone, what's missing in the installation docs? What could be improved? Share your ideas, as you vividly did in the past.

Thanks,
  Dennis

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#2 2003-07-18 17:37:22

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Re: New documentation for Nova and Dragon available!

Sorry all, I snagged the documentation tarball off the /incoming area, so it's not there anymore.  But rest assured, it will be on the web site within the next little while (today).

#3 2003-07-18 21:13:42

andy

All right, I took a look at the new documentation. I didn't read the installation part, sorry, ;-) (although most important)... but the stuff I did read :

I would not compare by name to distributions like Red Hat. Crux is of course necessary.

I would actually write that Arch uses a BSD style init system, both in the "About" area and in the "Boot" area.

You should also mention the /etc/conf.d/ directory. As far as I understand (and with some of my suggestions in the bug-tracker - thanks ;-) ...) isn't /etc/conf.d the place where packages drop their own configs when they are system essential. They can either be changed right there, or be regarded as defaults and be overwritten in /etc/rc.conf. The latter is what I am doing.

For example, gpm has a file ine /etc/conf.d but the way /etc/rc.d/gpm parses conf.d and rc.conf I can configure gpm in rc.conf as well. I like that very much since then rc.conf becomes a one stop conifg file. I realize pros and cons and if I continue this is getting off-topic advocacy :-)

Anyways, as far as I understand, this is intended and should be documented if indeed true.

Otherwise, thanks for the documentation update !

#4 2003-07-18 23:01:45

Gyroplast
Website

Alright, there we go:

I would not compare by name to distributions like Red Hat.

Hmm. The only direct comparisation I can find is in the About section, telling the user that Arch is lightweight compared to RedHat et al. I don't see how this is a problem, could you elaborate on that?

I would actually write that Arch uses a BSD style init system, both in the "About" area and in the "Boot" area.

I didn't touch the About section as it's pretty much "historical" in nature, but I added a sentence to the Bootscript explanation.

You should also mention the /etc/conf.d/ directory.

Absolutely. Done.

Thanks for your input, I put up the new documentation version on http://archlinux.veloxis.de/ as I expect a few more little changes to be merged in, and sending a new version to Apeiro every few hours doesn't seem very prospective to me. smile

So, if you want to see "bleeding-edge" docs, please hop over to the mentioned URL!

Thanks for your input,
  Dennis

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#5 2003-07-19 12:47:56

andy

Hmm. The only direct comparisation I can find is in the About section, telling the user that Arch is lightweight compared to RedHat et al. I don't see how this is a problem, could you elaborate on that?

I simply would write "compared to the big distributions" or the like.

It may sound a bit too nitpicking in this very case. But I find it just more professional to not do direct comparisons. It's just a style thing. And, of course, just a suggestion :-)

I didn't touch the About section as it's pretty much "historical" in nature, but I added a sentence to the Bootscript explanation.

Actually, I was browsing the archives and found this thread
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=319
and BSD may not be the absolut correct name (Although, FreeBSD 5 and NetBSD do have the start stop scripts now, too).

P.S.: I always write very brief ;-) ...

Board footer