You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-13 17:01:02

Urviech

Grub Error 21

Hi ppl,

i had arch linux running on my pc about one month ago, until it ceased functioning, after i built in a new dvd drive. i had to unplug some of the hard disks, to properly build in the drive, and after i reassembled everything grub said "Error 21" on boot and didn't show me the grub menu.

the hard disks were like this:

sda1 - /boot
sda2 - swap
sda3 - /
sdb1 and 2 - not mounted, windows drive

sda and sdb are connected to the ide interface of the mainboard

sdc, sdd, sde, sdf were not seperately mounted, as they are part of an nvidia sata fakeraid array (/dev/mapper/nvdunnowhat, mountedad /mnt/fakeraid). they are also connected to the mainboard.
i then tried to reinstall grub with the help of the arch cd, like it is described in the wiki. grub said, that the installation was successful, but still shows "error 21 on boot".

windows still worked, when i selected to boot from the second harddisk (primary slave, sda was primary master) so i used windows for a while.

today i found some time and tried to reinstall arch. installation works without any problems, but on reboot: "error 21".

i noticed, that arch doesnt recognize the ide harddisks as sda and sdf, as it did before, but as sde and sdf, so i told grub to use hd3 instead of hd0. no success.
i booted the arch cd with legacy-ide, and formerly sda, now sde was now hda. i installed and told grub to use hd0. no success.

what the hell am i doing wrong, why does arch hate me so much ;_;

wink

any ideas?

Last edited by Urviech (2008-12-13 17:03:07)

#2 2008-12-13 17:32:25

bgc1954

Re: Grub Error 21

First off, I don't have any personnal experience as I only have ide hard drives but googling gives a clue to what might be your problem: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-900679.html

Or someone with uber-knowledge will eventually post. smile

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#3 2008-12-13 21:24:13

creslin

Re: Grub Error 21

Urviech wrote:

i noticed, that arch doesnt recognize the ide harddisks as sda and sdf, as it did before, but as sde and sdf, so i told grub to use hd3 instead of hd0. no success.

sde would have been hd4, not hd3.

ARCH|awesome3.0 powered by Pentium M 750 | 512MB DDR2-533 | Radeon X300 M
The journey is the reward.

Board footer