You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-14 10:19:12

blackhole
Website

Which display driver package do I need for Nvidia Quadro NVS 110m?

Hi there,

I'm new to (Arch) Linux and was wondering which display driver package I need. I have a Dell Latitude D620 with a "nvidia quadro nvs 110m".

In the Arch Linux beginners guide it says:

1. nvidia-96xx slightly newer cards up to the GF 4.

2. nvidia-173xx Geforce FX series cards

3. nvidia newest GPUs after the GF FX

Consult the NVIDIA-Homepage to see which one is for you.

But on the NVIDIA-Homepage it says:

The GeForce M series and GeForce Go series notebook GPUs use drivers that have been customized by the notebook manufacturers to support hot key functions, power management functions, lid close and suspend/resume behavior. NVIDIA has worked with some notebook manufacturers to provide notebook-specific driver updates, however, most notebook driver updates must come from the notebook manufacturer.

And they just forward me to Dell Support which obviously neither offers a linux driver nor linux driver information for the D620.

So which of the three packages do I have to install?
Are these packages open-source drivers? Do I need proprietary nvidia drivers to get full 3D-performance?
Does anybody have experience with the D620?

Although I'm new to Linux and I like the KISS idea behind Arch Linux, I still want to have all that Compiz Fusion eye candy. I also want to play a few games which need 3D performance (once I'm familiar with wine). ;-)

Thanks in advance for your help,
Blackhole

Last edited by blackhole (2008-12-14 10:22:05)

Coming closer and closer to the ultimate goal: replacing boring old Windows XP desktop with shiny new Arch KDE 4 desktop. ^^
Already registered? Your vote counts!

#2 2008-12-14 10:50:40

dolby

Re: Which display driver package do I need for Nvidia Quadro NVS 110m?

Its in the normal nvidia package.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2008-12-14 11:30:58

blackhole
Website

Thanks a lot. How did you get to that website? Is there a link from Guide or the Wiki that I didn't find?

Does the normal nvidia package install proprietary drivers by Nvidia then or are these open source drivers?

Coming closer and closer to the ultimate goal: replacing boring old Windows XP desktop with shiny new Arch KDE 4 desktop. ^^

#4 2008-12-14 13:11:51

dolby

Its the nvidia binary blob.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Last edited by dolby (2008-12-14 13:12:03)

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#5 2008-12-14 13:21:42

blackhole
Website

Thanks a lot.

Final question: How does Arch Linux deal with license issues? If the nvidia package includes the original nvidia drivers linked above, doesn't that cause any legal/moral problems? Like in Ubuntu for example they always point out that it's proprietary software you're gonna install when enabling the nvidia drivers.

Just wondering...

#6 2008-12-14 15:14:59

dolby

In Archlinux we assume the user knows what he is doing.

#7 2008-12-14 15:39:22

blackhole
Website

*hihi* OK. big_smile

Board footer