You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-13 13:03:45

Jeffers0n

Wireshark dependency causing system upgrade problem

Here's what is happening:

jeff ~ |  sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                      31.4K  132.4K/s 00:00:00 [#####################] 100%
 extra                    413.7K  558.3K/s 00:00:01 [#####################] 100%
 community                348.2K  534.8K/s 00:00:01 [#####################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
error: cannot resolve "heimdal>=1.2.1", a dependency of "wireshark"
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: wireshark: requires heimdal>=1.2.1

I checked to see what version of heimdal is available to install with "pacman -Si", and the current version is 1.2-2, which is lower than what wireshark requires.  Do I have to wait until heimdal 1.2.1 is pushed into the repos before I can update my system, or is there another solution?

#2 2008-12-13 13:06:50

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Wireshark dependency causing system upgrade problem

I will move heimdal soon.  Wait for you mirror to sync

#3 2008-12-13 15:14:05

Xauthority

Jeffers0n wrote:

Here's what is happening:

jeff ~ |  sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                      31.4K  132.4K/s 00:00:00 [#####################] 100%
 extra                    413.7K  558.3K/s 00:00:01 [#####################] 100%
 community                348.2K  534.8K/s 00:00:01 [#####################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
error: cannot resolve "heimdal>=1.2.1", a dependency of "wireshark"
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: wireshark: requires heimdal>=1.2.1

I checked to see what version of heimdal is available to install with "pacman -Si", and the current version is 1.2-2, which is lower than what wireshark requires.  Do I have to wait until heimdal 1.2.1 is pushed into the repos before I can update my system, or is there another solution?

You can put wireshark in the ignore list /etc/pacman.conf or remove wireshark and after heimdal being updated install it again. smile

#4 2008-12-13 20:16:24

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

heimdal and all its rebuilds have now moved from [testing].  All should be fixed once you mirror syncs.

#5 2008-12-13 22:08:31

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

There's no nasty tone to this question, I'm just curious: Why do packages get moved to the official repos before their dependencies are ready? Doesn't that just create problems for upgrades and prevent users who might need to install the package in that little window of dependency hell? What's the reasoning? Is it just for the packager's convenience?

Follow-up question: Would it be possible (read: reasonable) to create some pkg queue system that moves ready packages into the official repos once their dependencies are solved?

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#6 2008-12-15 07:27:59

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Xyne wrote:

There's no nasty tone to this question, I'm just curious: Why do packages get moved to the official repos before their dependencies are ready? Doesn't that just create problems for upgrades and prevent users who might need to install the package in that little window of dependency hell? What's the reasoning? Is it just for the packager's convenience?

What happened here was that in the testing repo there were packages rebuilt for libpcap and packages rebuilt against heimdal.  However, wireshark was rebuilt against both libpcap and heimdal. Because of an oversight, the libpcap rebuild was moved out of testing without realizing that wireshark depended on the heimdal wich was still in testing.  We try to avoid these missing dependency problems but sometime mistakes are made.

Xyne wrote:

Follow-up question: Would it be possible (read: reasonable) to create some pkg queue system that moves ready packages into the official repos once their dependencies are solved?

I'm not sure if it's possible as packages are moved manually.

When there are library soname bump, we rebuild all packages that needs it to the best of our knowledge but it can happen that we forget a few. Sometime the package that needs to be rebuilt doesn't have the dependency listed, especially when it comes to dependencies on core packages, so we miss it. In this case, a queue system would do nothing. We just need users to report them on the bug tracker

Board footer